Island (The other ones) Reviews>Review: Graycliff 1666
OHRD 07:47 AM 10-28-2009
Size: 6×52, Torpedo (Pirate)

Wrapper: Jalpetec Maduro

Filler: Peruvian, Columbian, Mexican, and Brazilian Long Fillers

Binder: Ecuadorian Sumatra Binder

Strength: Medium-Full

Price: $12.00

Graycliff is known for their high-end cigars to match their famous resort in the Bahamas. The 1666 Pirate is a special edition cigar released to commemorate the church that was built in 1666 where the resort now stands. The area has a rich history and this cigar is meant to honor that history. We shall see if it can stand up to the high standards set by Graycliff.

Appearance:
The 1666 has a beautiful blue with gold outline band. This is the first thing to catch your eye and it is very appealing. The wrapper is dark, almost black, and is oily and very toothy. It gives the appearance that it’s gonna bite! Construction is firm all the way from head to foot with very few veins and I see no defects in the roll. The foot gives off an aroma of dark chocolate and fresh cut hay. After the cut, the pre-light draw is a little tight, but I am still able to get a solid pull.

Burn:
From the light, the 1666 has an excellent draw, putting to rest any worry I may have had. I am getting thick clouds of white smoke that smell of roasted nuts and cocoa. The burn was even until about half way through, when it started to burn unevenly. I gave it a few minutes to try and even out on its own, but ended up having to do a minor touch-up with the torch. That being said, while it didn’t take away from the enjoyment of the smoke, I expected better. The ash was a solid white with flecks of brown with little to no flakes and held about an inch to an inch and half before I felt it needed to be ashed.

Flavor:
The flavor profile on the Graycliff 1666 Pirate did not disappoint. Right from the start, I had hints of roasted nut and dark cocoa. These flavors stayed consistent throughout. I also got the occasional hit of a sweet spice. It had a little bite to it, but with an undercurrent of sweetness. Also from about one third of the way through until the final third, I tasted some wood and earth undertones. I retrohaled throughout the entire cigar and was never left with an overpowering feeling of spice. It was quite smooth. The overall flavor profile was complex and I would rate it as high-end medium to low-end full in strength.

Overall:
Graycliff is known as a high-end smoke and is not something I would normally smoke, if only due to the price point. I enjoyed the cigar from start to finish and would smoke it again, if gifted. I have had other lines from Graycliff and always found them to be high quality and enjoyable. The 1666 falls right in line with the rest. The flavor was complex and enjoyable. At no point was I overwhelmed with nicotine and it went well with both the Stella Artois and spring water that I paired it with. I could see this being an everyday smoke if you can afford $360.00 a box, but that’s not for me. If you enjoy a medium to full- bodied smoke that keeps you on your toes with the flavor profile, then I recommend trying at least one. I do not believe you will be disappointed! Thanks to Matt and Jed for bringing me back for another “perilous” (ha, ha) mission!
[Reply]
tuxpuff 07:54 AM 10-28-2009
Thanks for the review! I have a couple of these that I have been meaning to try.
[Reply]
Kreth 08:14 AM 10-28-2009
Nice review. I agree about the price. I've been bombed one, and gotten a couple in samplers (regular production, not the Pirate). Pricey, but very tasty. I do think the Graycliff bands look pretty cheesy, though.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
longknocker 08:21 AM 10-28-2009
Nice Review! These Can Frequently Be Found At A Substantial Discount On CI & CBID, FWIW. Have Several "Resting", But Haven't ever Tried One!:-) Perhaps I Need To!:-)
[Reply]
OHRD 08:43 AM 10-28-2009
This was a guest review for us, I'm not familiar w/ the difference b/w the Pirate and the regular production???
[Reply]
Kreth 08:58 AM 10-28-2009
Originally Posted by matthewjmichael:
This was a guest review for us, I'm not familiar w/ the difference b/w the Pirate and the regular production???
I believe it's the same blend, just a limited run vitola.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Ratters 10:47 PM 10-29-2009
I like these, especialy the little corona size that only comes in the flight sampler. Check the CI Make an Offer, last time I picked up one of the flight samplers of 10 for about thirty bucks.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 11:22 PM 10-29-2009
I tried the regular production once and didn't really like it. It was alright at times but not all that exciting to me. Especially for the price point. I do want to try the double espresso though.
Thanks for the review!
[Reply]
sikk50 11:36 PM 10-29-2009
One of my favorite smokes, but I would never pay msrp for them. I find them for $25 a 5er and have no problem though
[Reply]
bobarian 12:10 AM 10-30-2009
The 1666 is the only cigar from Graycliff made outside the Bahamas. It is a multi-country blend made in Nicaragua. :-)
[Reply]
dccraft 07:28 AM 10-30-2009
Originally Posted by mariogolbee:
I tried the regular production once and didn't really like it. It was alright at times but not all that exciting to me. Especially for the price point. I do want to try the double espresso though.
Thanks for the review!
I really enjoy the regular production 1666. I know that it is a bit overpriced but still it is a fine smoke.

I believe that you will like the dbl expresso - it really is a cut above everything else I've tried from Graycliff. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 08:22 AM 10-30-2009
Originally Posted by bobarian:
The 1666 is the only cigar from Graycliff made outside the Bahamas. It is a multi-country blend made in Nicaragua. :-)
I thought it was Honduras.
[Reply]
Up