Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Discussion>How do I store tins?
Slavac 12:38 PM 10-24-2009
Pretty simple question.

I recently bought a tin of flake, a tin of plug and a tin of medallion cut just to try the various cuts but am not sure how to store the tins to keep the tobacco moist.

Any help's appreciated :-)
[Reply]
TheTraveler 01:13 PM 10-24-2009
I use two methods.

1. If it's something I'll smoke pretty quick, say in two weeks, I just leave it in the tin and make sure to put the lid on tightly.

2. If it's something I'm only going to dip into occasionally, say once or twice a month, I store it in glass jars. I have quart sized Mason jars used in canning and they work fine. But a better bet would be the smaller sized Mason jars with a wide mouth - it's easier to get the tobacco out and you can stack them 2 or 3 high on a shelf.

I assumed you were talking about open tins. If you're talking about sealed tins just keep them cool and dry. I keep sealed tins on a bookshelf that doesn't get direct sunlight from a window.
[Reply]
Curly Cut 08:20 PM 10-24-2009
Originally Posted by TheTraveler:
I use two methods.

1. If it's something I'll smoke pretty quick, say in two weeks, I just leave it in the tin and make sure to put the lid on tightly.

2. If it's something I'm only going to dip into occasionally, say once or twice a month, I store it in glass jars. I have quart sized Mason jars used in canning and they work fine. But a better bet would be the smaller sized Mason jars with a wide mouth - it's easier to get the tobacco out and you can stack them 2 or 3 high on a shelf.

I assumed you were talking about open tins. If you're talking about sealed tins just keep them cool and dry. I keep sealed tins on a bookshelf that doesn't get direct sunlight from a window.
what he said.
i'd add to #2 response, Zip-Loc Twist 'n Loc's are pretty good for storing opened tobacco in. serves the same purpose as the glass mason jars, but are ligther, way easier to stack (i have 6 stacked on top of each other now in my closet), and can keep open tobacco fresh for over a year.
you can buy them at most grocery stores in various sizes, but if it's just for a tin, go with their small size. you can fit more than a 4oz or 100g tin in there, and they come in a 3 pack for about $3 total.
[Reply]
Slavac 03:10 PM 10-25-2009
Thanks guys :-) I'm assuming you're taking the tobacco out of the tins before storage in either the mason jars or the tupperware?
[Reply]
BigFrank 03:58 PM 10-25-2009
Target by me sells Glass Jars with a rubber top. They look rather nice, I keep 4 of them on my desk to keep open tobacco in. No issues here on them so far. Then run 2.99 a pop. Might be a little more pricey but when people come over they dont look super tacky.

Rx has a ton of em he stores his baccy in, he's the one that turned me onto them.
[Reply]
DrDubzz 04:02 PM 10-25-2009
http://www.amazon.com/Anchor-Hocking...6508132&sr=1-1

they're much cheaper at Walmart
[Reply]
BigFrank 04:03 PM 10-25-2009
Originally Posted by RX2010:
http://www.amazon.com/Anchor-Hocking...6508132&sr=1-1

they're much cheaper at Walmart
I don't shop at Wal-Mart, sorry.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 06:38 PM 10-25-2009
As mentioned above using a plastic sandwich ziplock bag or just storing the tin' in my cooliodor:-)

[Reply]
DrDubzz 08:25 PM 10-25-2009
Originally Posted by BigFrank:
I don't shop at Wal-Mart, sorry.
well I'm sure target has em, I just meant you don't have to pay out the anus online to get them
[Reply]
Ethelred Alim 06:57 AM 10-30-2009
Use a humidor..If you don't know what one is, the lid is domed and holds a moisturizer to keep the tobacco from drying ou
[Reply]
WWhermit 07:52 PM 10-30-2009
Originally Posted by Ethelred Alim:
Use a humidor..If you don't know what one is, the lid is domed and holds a moisturizer to keep the tobacco from drying ou
Ack. Never use a humidor for pipe baccy. Way overpriced for the usage, and the baccy will get ruined. Pipe tobacco is at a totally different humidity level, and is much better preserved in an airtight vessel, such as a mason jar. You do NOT need moisture beads to keep pipe tobacco preserved, and it will probably cause your baccy to mold.

WWhermit
:-):
[Reply]
BigFrank 02:17 PM 10-31-2009
Originally Posted by RX2010:
well I'm sure target has em, I just meant you don't have to pay out the anus online to get them
agreed
[Reply]
Curly Cut 09:24 PM 10-31-2009
my local grocery store had ZipLoc's Twist n Locs on sale today, 2 for $5. only downfall of the medium sized ones is that they only sell 2 at a time, not like the 3 of the small size. still, it's more "cups" of space.
[Reply]
Up