Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>My RP Vintage 92 blew up!!
fyrftr 09:48 PM 10-21-2009
Well...sort of! This was my first experiance with this cigar. Lit well, burned fine, was hard to draw thru. This went away after the first inch. Then it split down the barrel of the cigar after about an inch. The split was about 2 1/2'-3" in lenth. Appeared to be only the wrapper and not the binder underneath. As the cigar had just opened up I still wanted to smoke it. I thought it was only OK so far and wanted to give it time to get better. :-) When it got past the split about a half inf a small crack opened up and the wrapper peeled back like a flower opening up!! Looked like it was shot thru with a 22. WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot! OVER! :-)
Managed to smoke it down past the 'bullet hole' and the dammed thing split down another 3 inches to a half inch from thr foot!! Set the dammed thing down and let it go out. I expected more from a $7.75 stick! :-)

Is this common at all? What do you think caused it?

The B & M that I got it from has a humidified cab. He said it should have been fine to smoke right away. No need to rest or drybox he stated. I brought it home in a plastic zip bag and smoked it with-in a couple of hours of it's arrival at my place. He did offer to replace it (didn't look none to happy either) There was only about three inches left though!! :-)
Asked to trade up to the $9.95 Vintage 90 in order to avoid the same problem. He charged me $4.00 more!! Must have been those damned taxes!

The Vintage 90 was a GREAT!! smoke, by the way. Nubbed it and only got a little Dizzy!! :-)

Tim
[Reply]
Kreth 10:16 PM 10-21-2009
I've seen wet sticks split like that. Glad you enjoyed the 90. I prefer those over the 92s. The Renaissance and Olde World Reserve (especially the maduro) are great RP sticks, if you haven't tried them. A little pricier than the Vintages, but you can usually get a deal on a 5er or sampler online.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
kgoings 10:59 PM 10-21-2009
In my expreience I dry box all sticks that I bring home from the B&M. They never smoke right/taste right from the B&M's till they have dried out.

I agree it sounds like the stick was wet.
[Reply]
fyrftr 11:39 PM 10-21-2009
Guess I'll have to dry box em for a day or two from now on. Thanx kgoings! Need to learn patience!

Jeff, I'll have to try the Renaissance and Olde World Reserve. I do know that I like maduro's! My B&M has some maduro factoy 2nds thst I really enjoy. I think they are Nicarog.. nicawr.. nic...aww heck I don't know whay they are!

Tim L.
[Reply]
Kreth 11:58 PM 10-21-2009
Originally Posted by fyrftr:
Guess I'll have to dry box em for a day or two from now on. Thanx kgoings! Need to learn patience!
You can throw them in your humi for a bit and they should settle down. I try to let everything rest for a couple of weeks before smoking, but sometimes I just *have* to try one ROTT (right off the truck). :-)

Originally Posted by :
Jeff, I'll have to try the Renaissance and Olde World Reserve. I do know that I like maduro's! My B&M has some maduro factoy 2nds thst I really enjoy. I think they are Nicarog.. nicawr.. nic...aww heck I don't know whay they are!

Tim L.
Nicaraguan. :-) Speaking of 2nds, if you like the 90s, Cigars International has the Vintage Factory 2nds. They come unbanded in bundles of 15, and they're quite a bit cheaper than the regular Vintages.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
fyrftr 12:07 AM 10-22-2009
Nicaraguan, gotcha!! Might have to give those a try. Same taste? I don't need no stinkin' band!
[Reply]
Kreth 12:22 AM 10-22-2009
Originally Posted by fyrftr:
Nicaraguan, gotcha!! Might have to give those a try. Same taste? I don't need no stinkin' band!
Yeah, it's the same blend. Just cigars that have a blotchy wrapper or sloppy cap, minor cosmetic stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Up