Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Electric Deck Heaters?
AD720 07:37 PM 10-20-2009
Anyone have any experience with one of these?

http://www.shop.com/Electric+Patio+H...55337-p+.xhtml

I was really thinking about getting a propane one but I see that most of them only get about 10 hours to a tank and that could get expensive. Plus I hear that if it is windy at all the heat just gets blown away.
[Reply]
md4958 08:09 PM 10-20-2009
if youre looking to just warm yourself then you could try one of these

i used one last winter and it worked great... sometimes too well and i had to shut down one or two of the elements. Uses propane.

Obviously not ideal if youre looking to warm the entire deck.
[Reply]
68TriShield 05:43 AM 10-21-2009
I use something similar Moe with dual elements.I will add that I use it inside the garage with a window open.
The tank will last up two weeks for me,depending on what heat setting and how many elements are used.
[Reply]
tsolomon 05:49 AM 10-21-2009
Originally Posted by md4958:
if youre looking to just warm yourself then you could try one of these

i used one last winter and it worked great... sometimes too well and i had to shut down one or two of the elements. Uses propane.

Obviously not ideal if youre looking to warm the entire deck.
I use one of these and they work really well as it is radiant heat and only heats what is in front of it. Even if it's cold and windy, it still works but you have to be closer to it and somewhat shielded from the wind. Allows us to smoke on the front porch during the winter without wearing gloves. :-)
[Reply]
AD720 07:22 AM 10-21-2009
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Dave - I hope you have a Carbon Monoxide monitor in there or you just might end up :-)
[Reply]
68TriShield 08:05 AM 10-21-2009
Originally Posted by AD720:
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Dave - I hope you have a Carbon Monoxide monitor in there or you just might end up :-)
I said window but usually it's a window and a door.
Plus I have a table top propane heater that does have carbon monoxide detector :-)
[Reply]
bobarian 11:47 AM 10-21-2009
I would go with propane as well. They are more efficient than the electric and in the long run will cost less. Unless your electric bill is being paid by someone else. At 1500 watts(full power) you will see the electric meter spin. Also, you may have trouble with breakers depending on what else is on the same circuit when you are using the electric heater. :-)
[Reply]
RGD. 12:54 PM 10-21-2009
Originally Posted by AD720:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield:
I said window but usually it's a window and a door.
Plus I have a table top propane heater that does have carbon monoxide detector :-)

When I have been to Dave's - the intense cloud of cigar smoke neutralizes any carbon monoxide that might consider lingering around.

:-)

Ron
[Reply]
gorob23 01:33 PM 10-21-2009
Switched to gas and never looked back. IF you can run a gas line it is well worth it!
Rob :-)
[Reply]
LeoM 01:51 PM 10-21-2009
Well, thanks to this thread, I just ordered one of these

I can let you know how it does in a couple of days. :-)
[Reply]
random0813 03:48 PM 10-21-2009
Are you looking to heat the whole deck, or just make your smoking seat bearable for those brisk Philly evenings? My winter smoking is usually solo, so I picked up one of these LINKY It won't do much to heat up a big area, but it keeps me, my laptop and whatever adult beverage I am enjoying from spontaneously freezing.
[Reply]
AD720 03:53 PM 10-21-2009
Jim I was looking more for on of the bigger stand up ones. I have a small shop heater but using outdoor with any wind is useless. Those infrared one seem pretty cool - I'd feel like a french fry!
[Reply]
random0813 04:25 PM 10-21-2009
It looks like the one you linked to works in much the same way, just on a bigger scale and with a much nicer look. I am sure you can find some volunteers to help you test its effectiveness in the Philly Banter thread...:-)
[Reply]
Cigary 07:57 PM 10-21-2009
Originally Posted by LeoM:
Well, thanks to this thread, I just ordered one of these

I can let you know how it does in a couple of days. :-)
I got one of these at Costco and it works great out on the back patio. It provides enough heat and maybe costs 50 cents an hour to run at 1500 Watts. I keep 2 of these in the house and one in the master bedroom that keeps it toasty in winter time. Why heat the whole floor when all you need is one room to be toasty?
[Reply]
Up