Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Palio maintainence question
cbsmokin 01:01 PM 10-19-2009
I know they carry a lifetime warranty, etc., but I have a question for you guys about your Palio's. Both of mine seem to be less effective then they used to be. It does not seem to be the sharpness of the blade, but the smoothness of the action that has changed. They feel like they are binding a little bit when cutting. Still an excellent cut, but it takes more effort. Who knows, maybe it is the blade? The cigars are not tearing though like when you use a cheap cutter.

Does anyone or has anyone used any lithium grease or anything like that on the slides? I don't want to taint my cigars, but it doesn't necessarily feel like one smooth motion anymore. Instead it kind of hangs in the middle. Anyone else experience this?
[Reply]
fissure 01:04 PM 10-19-2009
I wouldn't use anything oily that would gum up. Try graphite powder, or just send them in:-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 01:23 PM 10-19-2009
Originally Posted by fissure:
or just send them in:-)
:-) I would just take it to an authorized dealer and swap it out.
[Reply]
bobarian 01:24 PM 10-19-2009
I use alcohol on a swab to clean the tracks and blade. Also there are two little holes at the top of the tracks that can get bits of tobacco stuck in them. You can use a paper clip to poke through the holes to clean them out. You will be surprised how dirty the tracks can get and how many bits of tobacco that can accumulate. :-)
[Reply]
Blueface 03:02 PM 10-19-2009
Originally Posted by bobarian:
I use alcohol on a swab to clean the tracks and blade. Also there are two little holes at the top of the tracks that can get bits of tobacco stuck in them. You can use a paper clip to poke through the holes to clean them out. You will be surprised how dirty the tracks can get and how many bits of tobacco that can accumulate. :-)
This is what I have done in the past too.

If concerned, recommend you contact Palio and ask.
I am certain they will oblige and may have other tips.
[Reply]
markem 03:06 PM 10-19-2009
About twice a year, I immerse and agitate my cutters when I am doing dishes. I always use a hair drier (was funny if you've seen my haircut) to ensure that I get all the water back out.

I due it basically as a precaution as I've never had an issue with any cutter but my Xikar (it would get gummy).
[Reply]
md4958 04:50 PM 10-19-2009
try the graphite, or if youre still not sure, contact OpusX (Marc, the owner of Palio is a member here and a helluva nice guy) He can answer any questions you have about your Palio.
[Reply]
nozero 05:34 PM 10-19-2009
May sound odd, but I use a very little bit of chapstick on the tracks.
[Reply]
T.G 07:17 PM 10-19-2009
Originally Posted by nozero:
May sound odd, but I use a very little bit of chapstick on the tracks.
What flavor?
[Reply]
Up