Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Using Shilala's Beads: Some Questions
CigarNut 01:09 PM 10-15-2009
I tried searching for this but did not find an answer in the 140 threads that mention "Shilala's beads"...

Scott is so busy right now with the beads I hate to bug him about this stuff, so I figured there must be others who would know the answers and I would bug them :-)

First, how much beads should I use in 150 and 300 count humidors? I was thinking one 8oz. bag for the small one, and two 8oz. bags for the large one. Does that make sense?

How much airspace do you need between the beads and the cigars? I was going to put the bags under the lowest shelf in each humidor. In the small one there is about 1" of space to the bottom of the shelf above, but there is only about 1/2" of space in the other humidor. Is that OK?

Do the bags have to lay flat, or can they be bunched up a bit? Can two bags be scrunched together in a smallish space?

Thanks!
[Reply]
14holestogie 01:16 PM 10-15-2009
My thoughts, below.

Originally Posted by CigarNut:
I tried searching for this but did not find an answer in the 140 threads that mention "Shilala's beads"...

Scott is so busy right now with the beads I hate to bug him about this stuff, so I figured there must be others who would know the answers and I would bug them :-)

First, how much beads should I use in 150 and 300 count humidors? I was thinking one 8oz. bag for the small one, and two 8oz. bags for the large one. Does that make sense? One 8 oz bag is plenty for either.

How much airspace do you need between the beads and the cigars? I was going to put the bags under the lowest shelf in each humidor. In the small one there is about 1" of space to the bottom of the shelf above, but there is only about 1/2" of space in the other humidor. Is that OK? Yes, that's OK

Do the bags have to lay flat, or can they be bunched up a bit? Can two bags be scrunched together in a smallish space? However you want to use them would work fine.

Thanks!

[Reply]
rack04 01:24 PM 10-15-2009
I disagree on the last point. The more surface area the better for the beads. Also, depending on how large your humidor is you may want to get smaller bead quantities and distribute throughout the humidor.
[Reply]
SkinsFanLarry 01:37 PM 10-15-2009
This might help you figure out the amount you need my brother....

Calculating the cubic area of your humidor:

Measure the depth, width and height of you humi (example is 24” depth, 36” wide and 48” height)
Multiply the three; 24x36x48=41472 cubic inches
Divide 41472 by 1728 (number of cubic inches in a cubic foot) 41472/1728= 24 cubic feet
Divide the cubic feet by 5 (number of cubic feet per pound) 24/5 = 4.8
You would need 4.8 pounds of HCM beads for this humi.

Remember that these calculations and quantities are the minumum amount you should put in a given space for control of RH. You can however place more in your humidor than these amounts without the chance of harming your cigars or the humidor, the right RH will still be maintained. The additional beads will only increase the amount of stored moisture which will just extend the amount of time before any distilled water needs to be added. They will also help the humidor recover to the proper RH quicker after the lid or door is opened.

[Reply]
SkinsFanLarry 01:45 PM 10-15-2009
Here's Scott's lastest post about the HCM Beads....

I made some more beads again.

[Reply]
Up