Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Review: Torano Tribute 2008
pfm721 01:27 PM 09-28-2009
This is my review of a Torano Tribute 2008 Torpedo from a blind tasting that I participated in.

6 x 50(?) Torpedo

Description: Very dark wrapper. Looks like a poor dye job as the wrapper is spotted and varies in color quite a bit. The wrapper also has two very prominent veins. Construction seems to be very good with a nice firm feel and no soft spots.

Pre-light: The draw is tougher than I would like but not impossible. Cedar and Cocoa are the only flavors that I can taste pre-light.

1/3: Draw is tough but I am getting an adequate amount of smoke. Flavors are not overly complex and there is something there that I don’t like. I get a flavor that I would describe as cedar as it is sweet but doesn’t have the deepness of other woody flavors and isn’t as sweet as fruit. There is also a hint of Cocoa and an unpleasant lingering flavor on the finish that I can only describe as green hay. The burn is sharp as a razor and the ash is holding strong at an inch and a half.

2/3: The draw is loosening up and is much better now. The cedar has started to fade and some coffee flavor starts to emerge. The green hay taste persistently remains. Burn is still razor sharp.

3/3: Same flavors as before in varying quantities and the green hay flavor is finally starting to subside. The burn is still straight.

Overall appearance and Presentation: 15/20
Lighting and Burning Properties: 15/15
Construction: 25/30
Taste Properties: 26/35

Total: 81/100

Stogie Guys Score: 2 and ½ stogies.
[Reply]
kelmac07 01:37 PM 09-28-2009
Big Torano fan here!! :-)
[Reply]
pfm721 02:09 PM 09-28-2009
I was shocked when I found out what this was. I usually like Torano especially the Exodus line. Ideally I would like to smoke several sticks before rendering an opinion but that wasn't possible here.
[Reply]
njstone 06:38 PM 09-28-2009
Thanks for the review, bro!

I like this cigar. I'm sure they will age fantastically well, but they're nice now too. I got a few at about $5/stick on cbid.
[Reply]
kenstogie 08:16 PM 09-28-2009
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Big Torano fan here!! :-)
ditto!
[Reply]
Tazziedevil 09:33 PM 09-28-2009
These guys age very well. Give 'em some time to rest and they are like a different stick :-)
[Reply]
OHRD 06:20 AM 09-29-2009
Ouch...have you had good experiences otherwise w/ Torano?
[Reply]
borndead1 08:27 AM 09-29-2009
I was gifted one of these at a herf a while back. I smoked 3 cigars that day. An Ashton ESG, a big Tatuaje salomon, and the Torano.

The Torano Tribute was hands down the best cigar I smoked that day.

Thanks for the review and the reminder that I need to snag some of these!
[Reply]
pfm721 10:07 AM 09-29-2009
Originally Posted by matthewjmichael:
Ouch...have you had good experiences otherwise w/ Torano?
Yes I have. I like most Torano cigars. It was funny the majority of the reviewers of this cigar had issues with it. I'm not sure why. I've had the Tribute Churchill and I enjoyed that one. I don't really have a great explanation other than to say maybe its just the torpedo vitola that doesn't work well with this blend.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 09:17 PM 09-29-2009
I like pretty much all Torano's but this one was very bland, imo. The 2004's had a much better blend too, imo.
[Reply]
njstone 09:40 PM 09-29-2009
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
I like pretty much all Torano's but this one was very bland, imo. The 2004's had a much better blend too, imo.
I haven't smoked an '04 ... but to compare them TODAY, of course, you have to remember that the '04 is considerably older.

I like the 2008 now, but I'm sure that they will get better and better. The flavors are there, but once the sticks settles down a bit I think it will be really top notch.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 09:47 PM 09-29-2009
I'm not comparing them side by side today. I'm comparing them to when they each came out. :-)
[Reply]
Up