Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Entertainment>The man who shot Liberty Valance
Darrell 12:11 PM 09-22-2009
I watched this yesterday in my Survey of Film class and it starts Jimmy Stewart and John Wayne. Jimmy Stewart is a lawyer in a small town and does not believe in the law of the west in regards to settling disputes by guns, John Wayne on the other hand disagrees. Liberty Valance (Lee Marvin) is a well known criminal and gun man and the villain of this film.

I liked this movie a lot. It started off a tad slow, but quickly picked up and developed into an awesome movie with a great story and top notch characters. It was roles like this that Jimmy Stewart really shined.

If you have never seen it, check it out. :-)
[Reply]
bobarian 12:36 PM 09-22-2009
Definitely a classic. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 01:11 PM 09-22-2009
Good flick for sure.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:20 PM 09-22-2009
Dang young'uns, telling Gramps again how to suck eggs. Reminds me of a girl I once worked with, who was assigned to watch a flick for class. She asked me if I'd ever seen it, and was "Casablanca" any good. :-)

Yes Darrell, it is a good movie. :-)
[Reply]
macpappy 08:49 PM 09-23-2009
You must have been really deprived as a young man if you've never watch this movie before.

Offhand I can't think of any Jimmy Stewart or John Wayne movies that I didn't like.
[Reply]
yachties23 08:52 PM 09-23-2009
Originally Posted by Darrell:
I watched this yesterday in my Survey of Film class and it starts Jimmy Stewart and John Wayne. Jimmy Stewart is a lawyer in a small town and does not believe in the law of the west in regards to settling disputes by guns, John Wayne on the other hand disagrees. Liberty Valance (Lee Marvin) is a well known criminal and gun man and the villain of this film.

I liked this movie a lot. It started off a tad slow, but quickly picked up and developed into an awesome movie with a great story and top notch characters. It was roles like this that Jimmy Stewart really shined.

If you have never seen it, check it out. :-)
I remember having to watch it for a film class as well, if you enjoyed it check out High Noon with Gary Cooper, great great classic western, a little less of the anti-hero flick but one of the classic westerns.
[Reply]
Darrell 11:32 AM 09-24-2009
Originally Posted by yachties23:
I remember having to watch it for a film class as well, if you enjoyed it check out High Noon with Gary Cooper, great great classic western, a little less of the anti-hero flick but one of the classic westerns.
I like High Noon it's a great flick. We watched that in class as well.
[Reply]
Darrell 11:32 AM 09-24-2009
Originally Posted by macpappy:
You must have been really deprived as a young man if you've never watch this movie before.
:-)

Thanks a bunch, Senior Chief. :-)
[Reply]
RevSmoke 12:16 PM 09-24-2009
Now go watch Shane. As far as the "western" genre goes (in academic terms), it is the quintessential western.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:31 PM 09-24-2009
And do not skip The Searchers if you've never seen it. The two Johns, Ford and Wayne, redefined the western with that flick years before Leone and Eastwood did with their spagetti classics.
[Reply]
Starscream 03:57 PM 09-24-2009
I like High Noon it's a great flick. We watched that in class as well.
High Noon is a true classic! Never seen Liberty Valance, but it's on my must see list.
[Reply]
Riff Raff 04:07 PM 09-24-2009
Twelve O'clock High is an awesome movie that I had to watch for my Navy Leadership course way back in the day. It showed 3 to 5 different management styles that Gregory Peck demonstrated!

Liberty Valance is a great movie. As for westerns, now try The Magnificent Seven!
[Reply]
The Poet 04:16 PM 09-24-2009
On this topic in general, may a crazy FOG make one humble suggestion? The next time one of you kids go to Blockbuster, steer away from the Will Ferrell/Jack Black/Eddie Murphy/Shia LaBoeuf/Whoever-The-Fark crap you are accustomed to, and go instead into the classics section and grab a great flick instead? If you need suggestions, you can go to AFI(dot)com, the site for the American Film Institute, and there find several hundred choices.

Just my :-), so take it or leave it. Hell, I don't care - I've seen them. :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 04:26 PM 09-24-2009
Originally Posted by The Poet:
On this topic in general, may a crazy FOG make one humble suggestion? The next time one of you kids go to Blockbuster, steer away from the Will Ferrell/Jack Black/Eddie Murphy/Shia LaBoeuf/Whoever-The-Fark crap you are accustomed to, and go instead into the classics section and grab a great flick instead? If you need suggestions, you can go to AFI(dot)com, the site for the American Film Institute, and there find several hundred choices.

I don't know what age group you refer to as "kids", but I'm 30 and love movies from the 1910s all the way up to nowadays. Movies are good today, but they have lost a bit of the epicness of the 60s and before. Spartacus, The Ten Commandments, Ben-Hur, Planet of the Apes, Citizen Kane, Casablanca, and numerous others are true epic classics. I think the difference between great classic films and todays good films are that we no longer have a long attention span. Most of America can't wait over three minutes for something to blow up.
[Reply]
Darrell 04:30 PM 09-24-2009

I could REALLY respond to this, but something tells me I would just end up offending someone.

All I will say is don't assume because some of us are "kids" compared to you that we cannot and do not appreciate CLASSIC cinema.
[Reply]
Darrell 04:32 PM 09-24-2009
And do not skip The Searchers if you've never seen it. The two Johns, Ford and Wayne, redefined the western with that flick years before Leone and Eastwood did with their spagetti classics.
I liked The Searchers, I really found it interesting how he seemed to sold and disconnected that he vowed to kill his niece rather than rescue her when he found out that she was with War Chief Scar, but instead he hugged her. That really seemed out of place with me considering how his character operated prior to that moment.
[Reply]
Cigary 04:43 PM 09-24-2009
The old classics are what movie going was all about. The new movies are of a different generation and genre which appeals to what people want in this day and age. The good thing about film is that it will be around for along time to come. Every generation loves it's films and at my age I love the classics.
[Reply]
The Poet 04:44 PM 09-24-2009
I could REALLY respond to this, but something tells me I would just end up offending someone.
You might, but it would not be me. As I said, it was a humble suggestion, and I really don't care. Besides, I don't take offense at opinions, as long as they are consistent. :-)
[Reply]
Up