Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Nub barberpole (LE 2009)
Don Fernando 10:13 AM 09-22-2009
On my road trip through the US we stopped at Empire Cigars in Raleigh, NC and it turned out that they had a Nub event the day before. The owners were delighted to see some cigar aficionados from across the pond in their shop and gave us one of the leftover Nub goodie bags. Those bags contained some Gentleman Jack, matchsticks, a cutter, a Nub guitar pick and a limited edition barberpole 4 x 58 nub.

The barberpole looks cool with the smooth maduro wrapper and the less smooth other wrapper (what kind is unknown to me). The construction feels good and the predraw is fine.

The first flavor is sweet leather, full flavored. After an inch there is some wood but the sweet leather is the stronger flavor. At 2/3rd some nut flavor and spices show up.

The smoke is quite full. The draw is good and the burn is straight. The ash is dark and firm but not as firm as the ash from other nubs. For once I didn’t drop the ash on my shirt …… I dropped it on the couch instead.

Would I buy this cigar again? I didn’t like any of the regular production nubs so far, but this one is very nice. Unfortunately it is an event only cigar so I don’t think I will ever smoke it again.

Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Appearance: 8 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Burn: 8 / 10
Aroma (first part) 7 / 10
Aroma (middle part) 7 / 10
Aroma (last part) 8 / 10
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 10:22 AM 09-22-2009
Great review Ferd! I also reviewed this cigar and found it to be the best NUB I've ever had as well.
[Reply]
Doctorossi 10:24 AM 09-22-2009
That's not a barberpole; that's a barberstub!

Thanks for the review. The very concept of a Nub barberpole is hilarious to me.
[Reply]
kelmac07 12:55 PM 09-22-2009
Thanks for the review Ferdie!!! Aldrin gifted me one of these at the Richmond Tulip Twins herf. Needless to say, I lit up up after smoking the Gorilla Finger...so i didn't taste a bit of it.
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 04:40 PM 09-22-2009
Originally Posted by Doctorossi:

We need to think of another gimmick we can add to this cigar. A pigtail head and a shaggy foot?
[Reply]
Cigargal 05:50 PM 09-22-2009
Nubs are fun!
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 05:59 PM 09-22-2009
awesome looking little turd... reminds me of 15 minutes ago
[Reply]
pnoon 06:02 PM 09-22-2009
A limited edition Nub? That's friggin hilarious. :-) :-) :-)

This cigar must have a "sweeter spot" than the regular ones. :-)
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 06:02 PM 09-22-2009
Originally Posted by Doctorossi:

Originally Posted by Adriftpanda:
awesome looking little turd... reminds me of 15 minutes ago
Man, all the ragging on the NUBs! I like em! If you don't like em, Send em to me! LOL

/mooch
[Reply]
elderboy02 06:22 PM 09-22-2009
Thanks for the review! I have one of these from the Nub event, but haven't smoked it yet.
[Reply]
Up