Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>How do I get rid of fruit flies?
rack04 10:32 AM 09-14-2009
Originally Posted by Dunkel:
Take a shallow white bowl and put some water, a couple drops of dishwashing liquid, and a little vinegar in it. They will die in there quickly. Replace this mixture everyday. Make up a few of them for better results. Put one near your TV and lamps/lights. They are attracted to the light and electromagnetic field (I heard it on a bug killing show). No matter what we do we get fruit flies every summer. I hate them.
This is what I do.
[Reply]
BlackDog 11:15 AM 09-14-2009
We've had some here this summer. I've used a short juice glass with a piece of banana in it, cover the top with plastic wrap, and poke a couple holes with a pencil in the plastic wrap. They get in the glass but not out. Once a day I'd cover the top with my hand, take it outside, and open the plastic wrap. Seemed to work pretty well.
[Reply]
Slavac 11:16 AM 09-14-2009
I've set both the funnel and the shallow dish traps, will report back.

If this fails, anyone have a flamethrower I can borrow?
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 11:20 AM 09-14-2009
Originally Posted by BlackDog:
We've had some here this summer. I've used a short juice glass with a piece of banana in it, cover the top with plastic wrap, and poke a couple holes with a pencil in the plastic wrap. They get in the glass but not out. Once a day I'd cover the top with my hand, take it outside, and open the plastic wrap. Seemed to work pretty well.
Did you try tagging their ears to see if the same ones return?
[Reply]
Cyanide 11:33 AM 09-14-2009
Or giving them vasectomies so that they waste precious breeding time with the un-altered wild individuals, resulting in lower egg counts in the breeding population at large?
[Reply]
yourchoice 11:39 AM 09-14-2009
Originally Posted by Slavac:
I've set both the funnel and the shallow dish traps, will report back.

If this fails, anyone have a flamethrower I can borrow?
You received good advice. They'll both work. If I had to guess the shallow dish trap will win the contest. Has worked better for me.
[Reply]
kenstogie 12:07 PM 09-14-2009
I like the vasectomy idea. Not sure about the logistics though.
[Reply]
ahc4353 12:08 PM 09-14-2009
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu:
Did you try tagging their ears to see if the same ones return?
:-)

How about you take a shower? :-)
[Reply]
Slavac 12:12 PM 09-14-2009
Originally Posted by ahc4353:
:-)

How about you take a shower? :-)
[[Adds Al to bomb list]]

Bastage
[Reply]
pfm721 01:35 PM 09-14-2009
Echo Dunkel. Used that very technique just last week to get rid of the ones in my apartment.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up