Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Need Advice / Help with Hit and Run
BigFrank 06:00 PM 09-04-2009
Looking for a little advice from the brothers here.

Make a long story short, I went out to my car to go to the gym tonight and noticed the driver's side rear bumper had been smashed in. It's a JEEP Liberty so it has those rubber like bumpers so the damage is only on that section of the bumper.
I park alongside much traveled road in the city to get to work everyday, no on-site parking. And it's the City...
I am almost 100% positive it happened while I was at work, because I checked my tail-lights this morning before going to work to make sure they were working, thought one was out.

So as of right now I havent done anything. My insurance deductable is 250$ and I am not sure what it will cost me out of pocket to fix if I avoid my insurance company.

So I guess my question is, What should I do?
[Reply]
replicant_argent 06:14 PM 09-04-2009
contact the gym and see if they have surveillance video.
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 06:16 PM 09-04-2009
Since you were parked, it should be covered under comprehensive which shouldn't raise your rates. A bumper will be more than $250 I imagine.

MCS
[Reply]
BigFrank 06:39 PM 09-04-2009
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
contact the gym and see if they have surveillance video.
happened before the gym.
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 07:26 PM 09-04-2009
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly:
Since you were parked, it should be covered under comprehensive which shouldn't raise your rates. A bumper will be more than $250 I imagine.

MCS
Bingo... Scott be smart.

The cost will be more than $250 and if it is filed as you have stated they will not hold a hit and run against you.

Coincedntally, I had this discussion today with my insurance company while I was filing a claim in order to expedite the repairs to my vehicle after my recent rear-end circus.
[Reply]
Blueface 08:01 PM 09-04-2009
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly:

MCS
Unfortunately, Collision damage is not covered under Comp.
Comp is for vandalism/falling objects, etc. Vandalism meaning if someone keys your car, etc. Comp also covers theft/fire.
If the damage was caused by what appears to be something having collided with your car, specifically a moving vehicle or object (even a grocery car would be considered collision by most carriers), you won't be afforded coverage under comp.
Since you were parked and unoccupied, liability will not be assessed and as such, most carriers will not consider this a surchargable accident. If you happened to be in it and moving, then I would be concerned with rate surcharges.

I would follow Pete's advice and see if any video to see who did it as will make it easier for your insurance company, should you happen to carry collision coverage. By identifying the culprit, you can get your deductible back or have them pay it directly via their carrier. If you don't have collision coverage, you are unfortunately on your own.

BTW, the aforementioned does not come as result of sleeping at a Holiday Inn.:-)
28 years of Claims Manager experience.
[Reply]
Up