Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Suggestions on cheap humidor options?
Chingo 12:39 AM 09-02-2009
Hi all, I've decided that I really need to save money in the next year since I'm going back to school, but I do not want to give up cigars. I began buying supplies for a coolidor the other day and realized it adds up quick (cooler, hygrometer, cedar, etc.), especially after shipping. I'm not going to be aging a huge collection, but I'd like to order a 10 or so sticks at a time and keep them fresh for a few weeks/months. So what's my best option?

-One of those humidor jars with some beads or humi-pillows.
-Cheap, china made humidor.
-Stripped down coolidor (maybe just a small cooler w/ some beads).

Thanks for helping a broke again-student stay in the hobby!
[Reply]
bobarian 12:46 AM 09-02-2009
Best option is a cooler.

48qt cooler $18basic, $25 48qt Marine-WalMart
Digital Hygrometer-$10- Wal-Mart
1/2lb Heartfelt beads-$18.24/1lb-$31

You dont need cedar for a cooler. You usually can pick up boxes for free from a local B&M. Use empty boxes for singles storage.

1/2lb of beads is minimum amount, 1lb if you live in an area with very high or very low humidity.
[Reply]
Chingo 12:49 AM 09-02-2009
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll have to peruse the local Wally World, I was doing all my shopping online and it wasn't cheap (cheapest digital hygro was ~$20 before shipping).
[Reply]
pmwz 12:51 AM 09-02-2009
if you want to stay real cheap get a couple of ziplock bags and beads. A cooler doesnt make sense if you have just 10 cigars in it. another option wood be a tupperdor.
You dont need a hygrometer if you use good beads. they are so accurate that i trust them in msall "humidor" units. just check when they need more water...
[Reply]
GreekGodX 02:43 AM 09-02-2009
The people have spoken. Tupperware makes a great makeshift humi until you can afford the cooler.
[Reply]
longknocker 05:01 AM 09-02-2009
Originally Posted by GreekGodX:
The people have spoken. Tupperware makes a great makeshift humi until you can afford the cooler.
:-):-)
[Reply]
SmokinApe 06:53 AM 09-02-2009
If you leave the tupperdoir sealed... Don't keep opening it up...

How many sticks are you planning to stock?
[Reply]
Addiction 06:59 AM 09-02-2009
A big piece of tupperware and some beads are fine. You don't even need a hydrometer if you don't open the tupper ware very often.
[Reply]
poker 07:06 AM 09-02-2009
50 bucks and its ready to roll if thats in the right price range for you.
Nice starter humidor.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20461
[Reply]
Tenor CS 08:05 AM 09-02-2009
For a low budget solution, I second a tupperware type thing. I used to use 1-gallon Glad-Lock containers. Small, tight seal, holds about 15 sticks, very convenient.
[Reply]
poriggity 08:13 AM 09-02-2009
I too say go with the cooler option if you are looking to do it on a budget.
Scott
[Reply]
WyoBob 08:24 AM 09-02-2009
Originally Posted by Addiction:
A big piece of tupperware and some beads are fine. You don't even need a hydrometer if you don't open the tupper ware very often.
But, you do need to open the tupperware up every once in awhile. I set a friend up with some 65% beads for use with his tupperware and he had the beads too wet (clear) and didn't check on his stash for weeks, evidently. That's right---mold.

I do think a larger storage container with cigar boxes helps stabilize humidity. I use 1/2 lb of 65% beads in both of my 120 quart coolers with plenty of old boxes in them and with a computer fan on a timer and remote humidity sensors in each cooler and my humidity stays at 65%. I open one cooler or the other each day, once or twice to grab a cigar, and the humidity level stays constant. I think the humidity that the boxes "store" helps stabilize things. Also, I no longer spray the beads. I just have a very small bowl in each cooler that I put some distilled water in.
[Reply]
BlackDog 08:32 AM 09-02-2009
If I recall correctly, I paid $7 or $8 for one of my hygrometers. Got it at Wal Mart, in the same area where you would buy outdoor thermometers and barometers. It's roughly a little smaller than a deck of cards.

I bet if you put up a WTB post, someone around here has a 25 stick humi they'd sell.
[Reply]
BlackDog 09:03 AM 09-02-2009
FWIW I see this post is in the "For Sale" area. May be helpful.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20461
[Reply]
elderboy02 09:05 AM 09-02-2009
Originally Posted by GreekGodX:
:-) If you can't afford the humidity beads, you can buy Boveda packets to put in the container. You just have to replace the packets once they dry up.
[Reply]
Skywalker 10:43 AM 09-02-2009
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Best option is a cooler.

48qt cooler $18basic, $25 48qt Marine-WalMart
Digital Hygrometer-$10- Wal-Mart
1/2lb Heartfelt beads-$18.24/1lb-$31

You dont need cedar for a cooler. You usually can pick up boxes for free from a local B&M. Use empty boxes for singles storage.

1/2lb of beads is minimum amount, 1lb if you live in an area with very high or very low humidity.
What he said!!!:-)

This has worked for me!!! Bob set me up and this system is fool proof!!!
[Reply]
Up