Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Question about plugged sticks...
Thrak 02:50 PM 08-26-2009
So a few weeks back I got a 10pk of Partagas black on JoeCigar. So far I've tried 4 and all 4 have been plugged beyond saving. This last one I havent even bothered to try to save...

Do you know if there is any recourse with CI or am I just stuck w/ these?:-)

ps - this is my first bad experience with CI and Joe...
[Reply]
akumushi 02:56 PM 08-26-2009
My personal opinion of the Partagas Black is that they are dog rockets. I've never had a plugged one, but the 3 I've tried have all had extremely firm draws. They also tasted like sour leather and moldy ply wood to me, so maybe you're lucky the ones you got were plugged. Don't blame Joecigar...
[Reply]
Blindjimme 03:01 PM 08-26-2009
I have always had bad luck with NC Partagas and draw issues. Yeah, there's no recourse from CI or anyone else for this type of complaint.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:05 PM 08-26-2009
Have you a cigar poker or some such tool? I've found most plugs are within an inch or so of the cap, so even a knitting needle may remedy the problem.
[Reply]
Thrak 03:29 PM 08-26-2009
I have... they're so plugged even after poking multiple holes, it still just clogs up again... even while the draw is "ok" it doesnt pull enough air thru to get the smoke going (if that makes sense)

I sent CI a customer request message, lets see what happens. :-) Cant hurt to try.
[Reply]
Blindjimme 03:40 PM 08-26-2009
What RH are you storing them at?
[Reply]
Commander Quan 04:13 PM 08-26-2009
Put them away and forget about them for about 6 months. I had some Indian Tabac Super Fuertes that were impossible to smoke. I left them alone for while and they loosened up and turned out pretty well.
[Reply]
Thrak 04:14 PM 08-26-2009
65% .... the one I tried today has been resting appx 45 days...
[Reply]
Blindjimme 04:45 PM 08-26-2009
You might try dry boxing one. See if a couple days out of the humi helps.

I've got 15 or 16 of the newer Padilla Obsidians left from 20, and I've never been able to smoke one. They've been probably 5 months in the humi, dry boxing didn't help, a poker doesn't help. The draw is just nonexistent.

My point being sometimes there is no fix. That's part of the deal on a handmade product. Good luck.
[Reply]
Cigary 04:52 PM 08-26-2009
Sorry to hear that you don't like them,,,I personally do enjoy these cigars and have yet to find a cigar that I could not "unplug",,,had one last night that I know most would probably pitchy. I keep a 9 inch poker that works perfectly,,,when I first bought it the rod was too smooth, so I had it knurled so that when inserted into the cigar you can turn it while pushing it all the way through. This makes for a better hole in the cigar and when lit you get a perfect draw.
[Reply]
Blindjimme 05:13 PM 08-26-2009
Originally Posted by Cigary:
Sorry to hear that you don't like them
The Obsidians? I don't know if I like them, I've never been able to smoke one :-) They sound like something I would like, I picked up 20! I made my poker at work and I cut little slices into the stainless for the same effect as you describe Gary. It works good, it just hasn't worked on the O's. Yet.
[Reply]
WyoBob 02:22 PM 08-27-2009
Originally Posted by Thrak:
I have... they're so plugged even after poking multiple holes, it still just clogs up again... even while the draw is "ok" it doesnt pull enough air thru to get the smoke going (if that makes sense)

I sent CI a customer request message, lets see what happens. :-) Cant hurt to try.
I haven't had luck with e-mail and CI/CBid customer service. Talking on the phone, yes. I had terrible draw problems with most of 4 boxes of "Artisans" being plugged. Though it was past the return period, they allowed me to return them. I've bought a lot of cigars from them and I don't think they'd do this on a regular basis.

I used to love Partagas Blacks but in the last year or so, I've found many more plugged cigars. Obsidian's, the same deal. Three out of 10 CAO Brazilla's from CBID were plugged. I have a couple of Pepin's from a sampler that have impossible draws. I still have some R4's in the cooler that I use when I have a nail to pound. All of these cigars came from CI/CBid/Joe's. Hmmm. I see a pattern developing.

Some of the cigars in my "plugged box" have been at 65% for two years. Dry boxing is way overrated IMO and has never worked well for me and I live in a dry area.

I use a piece of S.S. hinge pin with notches cut in it and I've used a long drill bit in a cordless drill. This will make some cigars somewhat smokable but it's not a good experience. The troubles I've been experiencing is why I started a thread on draw tested cigars. I've had it with receiving unsmokable cigars. I've been smoking cigars around 20 years and the past year has been the worst for me in terms of receiving poorly constructed cigars.

So, I think I'll stick with Cigar Monster/FSS for awhile and give up on CI/CBID. I'm also done with P.B.'s, Artisan's and Obsidians. Crap. I hate going on the hunt for new "favorites". I don't like change:-)

BTW, I contacted CAO about the 3 out of 10 Brazillia's I got from C.I. I was more than satisfied with their response. Thrak, you might try writing to Partagas and see what happens.

WyoBob
[Reply]
Cigary 02:58 AM 08-28-2009
Originally Posted by Blindjimme:
The Obsidians? I don't know if I like them, I've never been able to smoke one :-) They sound like something I would like, I picked up 20! I made my poker at work and I cut little slices into the stainless for the same effect as you describe Gary. It works good, it just hasn't worked on the O's. Yet.
I'll have to dig a couple out of my humidor and see what's going on. I got ahold of a really plugged cigar the other night. Cut it and did my usual thing to see how the draw was going to be,,,couldn't even get the slightest draw going. Took out the "rod" and went to work and the "knurling" that I had done on mine really does the trick,,,it acts like little fingers that will pull at the wadded tobacco as you twist and turn it into the cigar itself. The more you twist and turn the more it will pull so you have to guage just how much you really want to pull. It's kind of like you had a really long fine threaded poker that will "grind" the tobacco down as you push it thru.
[Reply]
TripleF 05:42 AM 08-28-2009
Partagas Blacks have a draw problem, 6 outta 10.

There is no fixing a "plugged" cigar IMHO.
[Reply]
Thrak 09:25 AM 08-28-2009
Well I am EXTREMELY happy to report that CI is a stand-up company. They are giving me a full refund AND sending me a label to ship the remaining sticks back on their dime.

I've been pleased with them before, but now I wont hesitate to trust them with future orders.

BIG +1 to CI as a great company to do business with.
[Reply]
TheTraveler 09:33 AM 08-28-2009
Originally Posted by Thrak:
Well I am EXTREMELY happy to report that CI is a stand-up company. They are giving me a full refund AND sending me a label to ship the remaining sticks back on their dime.

I've been pleased with them before, but now I wont hesitate to trust them with future orders.

BIG +1 to CI as a great company to do business with.
I like to hear the good news side of customer service when it's deserved. :-) to CI for that one. :-)
[Reply]
Sr Mike 10:55 PM 08-29-2009
I have had many Parti Blacks and never a single draw problem, a plus to CI, that is great.
[Reply]
boom 01:17 PM 08-30-2009
Good to hear that CI stepped up!!! But if you get any others that are plugged look me up<----:-) he may be able to help with your little problem

[Reply]
Up