Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Cigar Splitting
nofeardiver 07:27 PM 08-23-2009
Has anyone ever had a cigar split at the end on light up? It has been in my humi for about three weeks at 67-69 % humidity, am I doing something wrong, It is also a wine cooler at 60 degrees could it be the temp?

Thanks guys

Dan
[Reply]
theonlybear4CORT 07:28 PM 08-23-2009
Humidity I see your from Florida what was the ambient RH when you were smoking the cigar?
[Reply]
nofeardiver 07:30 PM 08-23-2009
High feels like it's about 80 degrees out, but I smoked two last night and didn't have an issue
[Reply]
nofeardiver 07:31 PM 08-23-2009
Also it's a perdomo habano maduro so a decent cigar, but it split idk maybe 2 inches up
[Reply]
larryinlc 07:37 PM 08-23-2009
It happens. I've had boxes where one or two split for no reason and the rest smoked fine. It's nothing you've done wrong.

Larry
[Reply]
nofeardiver 07:40 PM 08-23-2009
Ok cool I just wanted to make sure am new to cigars only been smoking the and collecting for about 5-6 months. Thank you guys for the quick response
[Reply]
alley00p 07:41 PM 08-23-2009
I had that happen a couple of weeks ago at my B&M. His humidor is always perfect, but in this case, I fired up a H. Upmann and stepped outdoors, and it split about an inch from the end.

I chalked it up to higher humidity outside the store, and finished smoking the stick with no further problems. I just touched it up a tad with my torch and, end of problem.

:-)
[Reply]
nofeardiver 07:46 PM 08-23-2009
Nice that's what I did too, but I was just wanting to make sure it wasn't something with my humi.
[Reply]
bleedingshrimp 08:23 PM 08-23-2009
I'd try dry boxing your smokes, it helped me out alot.
[Reply]
JJG 08:58 AM 08-24-2009
sometimes a tight roll can cause the split, other times weather. I've never worried about it too much as it's never been a chronic problem. I do notice that I get more splits when I'm smoking outside and it's very cold, like near freezing.
[Reply]
jjirons69 09:46 AM 08-24-2009
Originally Posted by larryinlc:
It happens. I've had boxes where one or two split for no reason and the rest smoked fine. It's nothing you've done wrong.

Larry
:-)
[Reply]
bowhnter 10:06 AM 08-24-2009
I had a few CAO's do the same thing upon lighting, and since I liked them so much, I wondered what the deal was....here is their explanation

"stemming from the time of year when the cigar was made. Each fall there is a rainy season in Honduras and Nicaragua; however, this year it was unusually wet and gave our quality control experts a challenging few months. Lx2 uses the topmost liguero leaves almost exclusively—and they absorb even more humidity than the other types of leaves on a tobacco plant. The ‘cracking’ is probably the result of the cigar having the wrapper added after draw-testing—and the filler expanding and becoming less pliable."

Might make sense for other leaves too.
[Reply]
nofeardiver 10:22 PM 08-26-2009
Nice thanks for all the help, actually had a csi brazilia tonight crack about an inch, I think it might because of the humidity change from inside to outside.

Thanks again
[Reply]
Sr Mike 11:00 PM 08-29-2009
I had a couple split on me after light up, humidity for cigars is a funny thing.
[Reply]
Up