Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Which are you subscribed to?
coastietech 08:02 AM 08-23-2009
The cigar snob thread got me thinking... Which cigar rags do you recommend or are you subscribed to?

I enjoy reading rags on the hobbies I'm interested in whether it be gun rags, or photog mags. So I figured it's time to start getting some cigar magazines into the house. I would prefer one that's not just gonna be full page advertisements. One that offers good information and has some good articles. I hate reading magazines that seem like they are bought out by someone and every other page is a "article" about how great that product is.

So what fits that description?
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:42 AM 08-23-2009
Not suscribed to any of them...but I do pick up Cigar Afficionado and Smoke Magazine every month. Both provide great articles and reviews.
[Reply]
elderboy02 08:54 AM 08-23-2009
Cigar Snobs is nice b/c they have good looking women in the issues.

I also subscribe to CA, Smoke, and Cigar Magazine.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:55 AM 08-23-2009
European Cigar Cult Journal is my favorite by far.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 10:59 AM 08-23-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:
:-) This one is so much better than any other, it's almost laughable. I read it along with Cigar, Smoke, Cigar Press and Cigar Snob when I can get a hold of it. I look at CA when I don't really need any cigar info and to laugh at most of the cigar ratings. :-)
[Reply]
SkinsFanLarry 11:06 AM 08-23-2009
I agree with Tom 100%....it's just hard for me to find. I read Smoke and Cigar Press.

I might look at a copy of Cigar Magazine, just to see the current CC prices, otherwise I would never pay for that Altadis rag!
[Reply]
captain53 11:17 AM 08-23-2009
Another one I have never seen but looks interesting for sure. In case there are others not familiar with it::-)

http://www.cigar-cult.com/cig/index....d=31&Itemid=46
[Reply]
Col. Kurtz 01:31 PM 08-23-2009
None of them. There seems to be much more info on this board...
[Reply]
WyGuy 02:57 PM 08-23-2009
Originally Posted by Col. Kurtz:
None of them. There seems to be much more info on this board...
:-)

Once in a while I pick up a Cigar Aficionado, but not subscribed to any magazine.
[Reply]
coastietech 05:13 PM 08-23-2009
Thank you all for giving me some ideas... I wasn't even aware about any other rag other than CA. I figure I'll get one or two coming to the house.
[Reply]
Bubba - NJ 08:41 PM 08-23-2009
:-) I will have to check out Cigar Snob though , it looks interesting .
[Reply]
Tio Gato 02:14 PM 08-24-2009
I've got every issue of Cigar Aficionado from the beginning. It's lots of fun to look back at the prices and ratings of cigars. Sure, some of the snobbery wants to make me puke. (Private jets, custom shoes, etc. that they redo every few years.)

They do "The Hottest Cigars in America" every year. They sent questionnaires to over 2000 retailers. They published the results from a return of only 60 some odd retailers. I sent them an e-mail about how crappy that sampling was, but I never heard from them.

I had sent them another e-mail about a story on their website. Two of the editors where having dinner next to an elderly couple. The editor was miffed that the couple complained over their extensive use of the "F-word". I wrote and told them gentlemen don't use that word in a family dining establishment. Again, no response.

I find that every issue has one good piece about the industry. The rest is crap.

I also get Cigar Magazine. I love the articles about people in the business.
The reviews are useless. I really don't care to know that a Belinda almost beat a Casa Blanca in a review.

I gave up on Smoke a long time ago. Useless reviews of cigars from their advertisers is not what I want.

Cigar Cult is a fine magazine, but I don't often get it because it makes me want too much of what I can't have. I do get a big kick about the NC's that are selling like hotcakes in Europe. Vegas Fina? Mmmm, not.

Having something solid in your hands to read is great. (Get a bunch of catalogs every month.+

IMHO the best resource of information is Rich Perelman's Cigarcyclopedia.
Fresh news almost every day with the latest cigar business news. New cigar releases, sales, trends, business profiles, all the good stuff is there.
Free on-line for the taking and it's like getting a magazine every day.

It is fun to read a magazine, but you're gonna learn lot more at the Asylum before it comes out in print. This site is a true testament to the wisdom of all here.:-)
[Reply]
Addiction 03:54 PM 08-24-2009
I get CA in my local store to support them, tho its not that good a cigar rag in my opinion.
[Reply]
Waynegro1 10:24 PM 08-24-2009
1. Cigar Magazine
2. Smoke Magazine (thanks to Smokin5)
3. Cigar Press
[Reply]
Up