Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Coffee Discussion>the inevitable button/guage question
floydpink 10:38 AM 08-15-2009
Ok, we all know the Brasilia has lots of chrome, switches and guages, and I have most figured out except one.

On the front is a power switch and a resistance switch.

I obviously figured out the power part, but automatically turn on the resistance switch as well.

What the heck is this for????
[Reply]
The Poet 10:40 AM 08-15-2009
Resistance would be my guess. :-)
[Reply]
Mister Moo 10:48 AM 08-15-2009
Originally Posted by The Poet:
Resistance would be my guess. :-)
My thoughts exactly. Hope this was helpful.
[Reply]
floydpink 10:53 AM 08-15-2009
Oh heck, I'll just call Buffalo on Monday.....:-)
[Reply]
SDmate 11:00 AM 08-15-2009
"resistance is futile".ImageImage
[Reply]
Mark 11:10 AM 08-15-2009
Originally Posted by SDmate:
"resistance is futile".ImageImage

I love how unbelievably unhelpful you guys are! It challenges me in my sarcasm. Thanks :-)
[Reply]
floydpink 11:17 AM 08-15-2009
Originally Posted by Mark:
I love how unbelievably unhelpful you guys are! It challenges me in my sarcasm. Thanks :-)
I'm a wise ass by nature, so it just feels right to have my question answered in this fashion.

After some deliberation, I think it is just a poor Italian to English translation, like the rest of the useless manual.

I am fairly certain the power switch heats the boiler and the resistance switch builds the necessary bars of pressure.

Hopefully Wholelattelove will be a tad more serious with my inquisitive email as they normally are.
[Reply]
The Poet 11:17 AM 08-15-2009
Originally Posted by Mark:

Sarcasm is my yoga. Ohmmmmm, Ohmmmmm, Ohmmmmm. :-)
[Reply]
germantown rob 12:30 PM 08-15-2009
I was reading the manual for you and that switch is for the boiler only.

3 - ON/OFF SWITCH
5 - BOILER HEATING ELEMENT ON/OFF SWITCH

There must be a point to having the 2 switches that makes perfect sense in Italy.
[Reply]
Mister Moo 02:17 PM 08-15-2009
The ideal thing would be it modulates resistance across the heating element. Is that possible?

Update: I did some exhaustive research and discovered precisely what it is. It's an "INTERRUTTORE RESISTENZA ON/OFF". Si. Predo. Thatsa whatta she is. Grazi. Mille grazi.

http://www.brasilia-coffee.co.uk/dow...sic-manual.pdf
[Reply]
Mister Moo 02:36 PM 08-15-2009
Further on we learn, in english:

"The machine is fitted with a two-position power switch:
Position OFF: no power supply to the internal components.
Position ON: power supply to the operational electric components (boiler filling with water).
• Boiler heating element ON/OFF switch:
Position OFF: no power supply to the boiler heating element
Position ON: power supply to the boiler heating element"

Implication being you can cut the heating element off to, one presumes, manually modulate water temp. That seems interesting. My presumption may be wrong but, if the temp gauge is precise, you could moderate the temp of what you pump if the thermostat gives you more heat than you want.

Maybe.

H Upmann Mag50 on the back porch. Thx Silound.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:42 PM 08-15-2009
Dang - and all this time I've just been puttin' my pot onna stove an' turnin' on the gas. What a fool I've been.

:-)
[Reply]
Mister Moo 02:49 PM 08-15-2009
Dang - and all this time I've just been puttin' my pot onna stove an' turnin' on the gas. What a fool I've been.

You could add a interruptore resistenza switch for about $600. WTH? You only go around once.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:51 PM 08-15-2009
Originally Posted by Mister Moo:
You could add a interruptore resistenza switch for about $600. WTH? You only go around once.
Now there's a thought! :-)
[Reply]
floydpink 03:11 PM 08-15-2009

I'd tend to agree, but not based on your coffee methods.
[Reply]
floydpink 03:35 PM 08-15-2009
Originally Posted by germantown rob:
I was reading the manual for you and that switch is for the boiler only.

3 - ON/OFF SWITCH
5 - BOILER HEATING ELEMENT ON/OFF SWITCH

There must be a point to having the 2 switches that makes perfect sense in Italy.

Thanks Rob. I guess I'll just leave both on.....
[Reply]
floydpink 10:45 AM 08-17-2009
Here's the reply Wholelattelove gave me this morning, in case anyone was in suspense....

"That switch controls the power flowing to the heating elements. The main power switch controls power to the machine overall. Its sort of a cool feature but I feel like it is sort of superfluous."
[Reply]
The Poet 02:00 PM 08-17-2009
Originally Posted by floydpink:
I'd tend to agree, but not based on your coffee methods.
I resent that. I have not merely been a fool - I still am one, and proudly. :-)
[Reply]
Up