Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Gurkha Centurian Double Perfecto
Kreth 05:55 PM 08-08-2009
I've been curious about Gurkhas for a while, and I was gifted this stick.

Humidor time: 1 week

Prelight: The wrapper has that nice worn leather look, with a few prominent veins. Draw is a bit tight, tasting of leather and wood.

Burn: The burn was a little uneven in spots, requiring a touch-up. Ash was nice and solid. Draw was a bit tight initially, but loosened up as the burn reached the widest part of the cigar. The burn time was about 90 minutes.

Flavor: This cigar tasted mostly of leather and wood, with a nice amount of spice. It got a little harsh towards the end.

Summary: I enjoyed this stick. If this is an indication of their other blends, I'm not sure why Gurkhas get such a bad rap.
[Reply]
captain53 06:04 PM 08-08-2009
Originally Posted by Kreth:
I've been curious about Gurkhas for a while, and I was gifted this stick.
:-)
Humidor time: 1 week
I'm not sure why Gurkhas get such a bad rap.
Bill Clinton/Monica Lewinsky:-)
[Reply]
ValorBali41 09:55 PM 08-08-2009
I think they get there bad name because they tend to be more of a boutique brand, and overpriced. Especially with the HRM running at $750 a stick and 15,000 for a box of 20 :-)
[Reply]
bigloo 10:03 PM 08-08-2009
I used to enjoy Gurkha, still enjoy the Titan although my tasted have changed. This stick however I never really liked. I agree with what is said though. The MSRP on these is like $20 a stick of something. I picked up a 5ver off CI once for like $20. It pissed me off when you use MSRP to drive the "quality" of your sticks. Even the Titan.. only 1000 boxes produced each year? Really? Gurkha is a middle tier cigar that uses so much smoke and mirrors for promotion I have no respect for them.
[Reply]
Kreth 10:43 PM 08-08-2009
I don't pay much attention to MSRP. I've noticed CI always has the Gurkhas on sale, if not thrown in as freebies.
[Reply]
Sr Mike 11:00 PM 08-08-2009
Nice review, I find that Gurkha's do well with age. I have some that I am waiting to light up once they reach a good 4 years. My favorite golf smoke has to be the double maduro, I want to try the maduro 101, but have yet to acquire any, it would be interesting to compare with the double.
[Reply]
Up