Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Humidor Question
Caymus 08:39 PM 08-05-2009
When I was in college in 1988 or so, I bought a humidor and cigar sampler from Thompson, I believe. Throughout the years, my dad would give me cigars: La Gloria Cubana, Por Larranaga, some off-brands, etc. They sat in that table-top humidor for years. No humidification, no hygrometer, moved a dozen times, totally neglected it, thrown in a closet or garage, wherever.
About a year ago, I got into cigars. I now have 5 big humidors and 3 wine refrigerators that I use for cigars, with Heartfelt beads, digital hygrometers, etc. Yet that old cheap humidor has a smell that melts my knees. It smells so great...sweet, complex, intense. :-) I've got my very best cigars in it (Padron anniversaries, Opus x, tatuaje miami, Oliva V etc) When I pull a cigar out of it, they smell amazing....just like the humidor itself. When I smoke an Oliva V from it, it has taken on the aroma from the humidor and I can taste and smell it with every puff...amazing. An Oliva V from it's own box doesn't smell or taste like that.
My other humidors just smell like cedar or the cigar itself. Is the other humidor so awesome because of age ? Because I had cigars in there for years without even opening it ? How can I get that "seasoning" in my other humidors....time?
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 08:45 PM 08-05-2009
I dunno how to help, but I think it is an interesting topic! Good Luck!
[Reply]
Starscream 10:11 PM 08-05-2009
:-)

Sounds feasible, but I'm no expert on the matter.
[Reply]
Tidefan73 07:15 AM 08-06-2009
Did you have any flavored smokes in the desktop humi? If so, that's probably what has 'seasoned' it. I have an old 50ct and stored my fiances falvored CAOs in it...it totally smells like those honey flavored smokes. I don't store anything in it now, but can still smell the sweetness and aroma of what was in there at one time.
[Reply]
meadmaker 10:33 PM 08-11-2009
It is possible that all cigars and the cedar just married together. The cedar could have absorbed that "scent" and now is just releasing it out of the wood. I haven't heard of someone not opening the humidor for years so I have never header of it before.
[Reply]
Caymus 02:53 PM 08-12-2009
That's what I'm thinking, Meadmaker...the cigars were in there for so long that the cedar just absorbed all those flavors. Dang I wish I could get my other humidors to smell like that one !
[Reply]
Volt 02:58 PM 08-12-2009
Originally Posted by Caymus:
That's what I'm thinking, Meadmaker...the cigars were in there for so long that the cedar just absorbed all those flavors. Dang I wish I could get my other humidors to smell like that one !

Hmm, sounds like you already know how to get it done..... Just gonna be a long time before they are ready for use :-)
[Reply]
Bax 03:00 PM 08-12-2009
Wood can hold odors for many, many years. Temperature and humidity changes can release the smell of something that may have been stored in there decades before.

So time is the answer to your question. That and the type of wood that was in your humi. If your humi is more MDF with a liner you'll not get the same odor retention.
[Reply]
Caymus 07:57 PM 08-13-2009
What's MDF Bax ?
[Reply]
Up