Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Padron Millennium
Mr.Maduro 04:18 PM 08-05-2009
When I began smoking cigars roughly 5 years ago, it was a Padron Anniversary Maduro (1964 Torpedo) that really got me hooked. I immediately began to buy them whenever I came across them and as many as I could afford.

I searched high and low in B&Ms and online. While searching online I learned of the Padron Millenniums. I had to have one. I think some of my first posts ever on internet cigar forums were "Who has Pardon Millenniums?" I had one response from someone in Missouri (I think) saying his local B&M had them for $60 each. I was so new too cigar forums that I didn't trust it and thought $60 was way too much for a single cigar! :-) Needless to say, I never pulled the trigger and never thought I would come across one.

Imagine my excitement last week when someone on this very forum announced he was selling some. I immediately inquired and he was nice enough to sell me the two I was looking for and for a lower price I was expecting.

They arrived Monday... I can't remember the last NC I've had but was going to review this one no matter what.

The cigar is a beauty to behold. Like any Padron, the quality is top-notch. Sad to say, that was the best part. After I cut it and lit it, my expectations were shattered. The cigar's burn and draw were typical of Padron - perfect. The smoke was thick and bountiful. The flavor - not so much. The first 2-3 inches had a slight perfume aftertaste - not pleasant like florals that are sometimes tasted in cigars, but kind of like old-lady perfume. It was slight, and this was a cigar I've been wanting to try for a long time so I kept on. The perfume taste disappeared (thankfully) and not much else happened after that flavor wise. It was a decent smoke, but no where even close to other Pardon’s I've had even in their regular line. I kept on but finally laid it to rest realizing nothing else was going to change my experience. :-)

Am I sad this cigar sucked? Very much so.
Am I happy I got to try one? Very much so.
Am I starting to think I'm spoiled by Cubans? Very much so.
When will I smoke my other one? Not for a while.

Here are some pics for posterity.

[Reply]
Mugen910 04:26 PM 08-05-2009
Patrick I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the cigar but thank you for the review.
[Reply]
Scottw 04:27 PM 08-05-2009
Whoa, that's a kick in the pills huh? Sorry about the bad experience.
[Reply]
The Poet 04:34 PM 08-05-2009
Life's a real beach at times, ain't it. Sorry for the dream dashed, but thanks for the review. And your are right about that cigar being a beauty - by the picture, it looks too good to smoke.

Hey, maybe that's the trick! :-)
[Reply]
themoneycollector 06:36 PM 08-05-2009
Sorry that it was a bit of a disappointment. I was extremely tempted when I saw the sale thread. Maybe the next one will make up for this guy.

Thanks for the review
[Reply]
longknocker 06:45 PM 08-05-2009
Sorry the experience wasn't up to your expectations, Patrick, but a Beautiful Cigar, nonetheless!:-)
[Reply]
Jason 06:46 PM 08-05-2009
Patrick, I've had much the same experience with older Padron anniversary-quality cigars, more often than not they've been flat for me.

I had a much better success rate on them if super fresh, I don't recall a bad fresh one in fact so maybe 100%

I haven't had one in a year or more, I should revisit them too! Thanks for the reminder
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 06:55 PM 08-05-2009
Man, I'm sorry that the Padron was a let down! Thanks for the Review Though!

It's a good thing I didn't review it. I think from simply being a Padron whore that excludes me from doing an un-bias review! :-)
[Reply]
GAW 07:00 PM 08-05-2009
Nice review Patrick - maybe the cigar or maybe your palate has just changed. It happens Cubans or not ! The 64's were the shiz for me a few years ago also - then the 26's came along and were never as good for me. The 40th's were a major dissappointment - just strong and bland so I gave up on Padrons. I have heard it around that they lose flavor upon aging and have experienced it with a few boxes - the tobacco in their premium sticks is worked alot before rolling so maybe fresh is better with them - but who knows! The good news is you've got all those Cubans so smoke away and let bygones be bygones. :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 07:04 PM 08-05-2009
Sorry the stick didn't live up to expectations...but thanks for the review.
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 01:30 AM 08-07-2009
Thanks for the review! Too bad the stick wasn't for ya. I'll take the rest from you :-)
[Reply]
Skywalker 08:35 PM 08-07-2009
Thanks for the honest review!!!:-)

The cigars looks beautiful!!! Too Bad!!!
:-)
[Reply]
Up