Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Dry boxing...
coastietech 06:10 PM 08-02-2009
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, if it's not please accept my apologies and move it.

I have seen a few people on these boards talk about keeping a humi for a "dry box." I understand the concept and I understand the reasoning for it. I guess my is more along the lines of organization. How many cigars do you have in there at a time? Do you just randomly pick sticks to store in there? What's the longest you will leave a stick in there before you either smoke it or put it back in the humi?

On a related note... I recently found out the I no longer like Acid cigars. LOL I had a 20ct humi dedicated flavored sticks. Since those sticks are getting sent to mikeandshellie2 for the troops I have an empty humi to turn into a dry box. Should I do anything to it to prepare it as a dry box, other than take the beads out? Should I wash it out so that the flavored stick stink doesn't stick to my regular cigars?

The other alternative was turning it into a cc box. I've never smoked any cc's but was directed to a reputable place and was gonna get some to try.

What say you all? Dry box or cc humi?
[Reply]
JJG 06:52 PM 08-02-2009
turn it into a cc humi and take the plunge! You won't be disappointed. That first order can be a little nerve-rattling but it is definitely worth it.

anyhow, I've been "dry boxing" everything I smoke for a few years now and it really seems to give the cigars a much better flavor. The reason I used quotation marks is because I don't use an actual box. I just pick out what I plan to smoke for the following weekend and leave them on the bar for a few days, (usually 3-4). I only take out what I plan to smoke within a week so there's no organization necessary.

I think the amount of drying time depends on where you live though. I'm in Houston, which has very high humidity most of the year. I can leave cigars out of the humi for weeks at a time before they get crunchy, but if you live somewhere dry you might want to use more caution than me.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 07:06 PM 08-02-2009
I would steer clear of using a "flavored cigar" humidor for anything that you would like to taste the way it was intended for a very long time. Try baking soda and leave it open for some sunlight. Make sure there is no lingering smell before you put anything in it. :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 07:07 PM 08-02-2009
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
I would steer clear of using a "flavored cigar" humidor for anything that you would like to taste the way it was intended for a very long time. Try baking soda and leave it open for some sunlight. Make sure there is no lingering smell before you put anything in it. :-)
:-)
[Reply]
BORIStheBLADE 07:51 PM 08-02-2009
For me the dryer cigars taste a little better and don't burn out. My CC's for some reason would like to go out about halfway through, like clock work. I have tried NC's dry and they seem to lose their flavor.
I ended up going with putting 60% beads in a desktop for my CC's. This way I put a hand full of each different cigar I have a desktop and they were ready to go. My thing was I would sometimes forget that I had sticks in a dry box. So now I grab and smoke. Seems like less to maintain to me.
[Reply]
Mark 08:08 PM 08-02-2009
Dry boxing is usually done the morning of or a few hours before a smoke. Some smokers like their cigars on the drier side for flavor reasons and because it tends to eliminate burn problems. Some put 60% beads in their dryboxes, but personally I just have an old spanish cedar cigar box sitting next to my normal smoking spot, and I throw my stick for the night in there four to six hours before smoke time. I like my cigars a bit drier for smoking, but again if you don't like the way it makes your cigar taste, don't do it. This hobby is about enjoyment, not what you are "supposed" to do.

As for the old flavored humi, sounds like a good idea, but I would recommend sanding down the cedar on the inside and wiping out the wood with ammonia, then leaving it open in a sunny window for a few days. Should get rid of all of the smell. Hope this helps!
[Reply]
M1903A1 08:50 PM 08-02-2009
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
:-)
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 08:56 PM 08-02-2009
Even though I keep all my humidors between 60-64%, I drybox from anywhere from a few days to a month or so. I throw in a bunch, then just pick and choose. I've had a few in there for several months that I haven't gotten around to. My drybox runs at about 50-52%.
[Reply]
pnoon 08:59 PM 08-02-2009
I would just burn it and drop some cash for a new one.

Or send it to the troops or another flavored cigar lover.
[Reply]
coastietech 06:18 AM 08-03-2009
Thank you all for the advice. I'm gonna see how bad the smell is inside the box. I've only had it for a month, so I didn't think it would be that bad after only a month. I'll do some experimenting and share my results.
[Reply]
Addiction 08:01 AM 08-03-2009
Originally Posted by coastietech:
.....On a related note... I recently found out the I no longer like Acid cigars. LOL I had a 20ct humi dedicated flavored sticks. Since those sticks are getting sent to mikeandshellie2 for the troops I have an empty humi to turn into a dry box. Should I do anything to it to prepare it as a dry box, other than take the beads out? Should I wash it out so that the flavored stick stink doesn't stick to my regular cigars?......
I would reccomend against this, depending on how long its been in used to store flavored sticks.

You dont need a humidor to dry box, a used cigar box will do nicely.
[Reply]
Up