Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>What's the deal with all these 20 count boxes?
Mr. Ed 06:08 PM 07-27-2009
Just flipping through the CI catalog today and noticed more and more of their cigars are only being offered in 20 count boxes. This is a trend I've noticed from a lot of manufacturers and retailers of NC cigars who are making boxes with strange counts.

Are they phasing out the 25 count box or cabinet?

Is 25 cigars too much for one man(or woman) to handle?

Thoughts, opinions...
[Reply]
Mr. Ed 06:19 PM 07-27-2009
Originally Posted by volfan:
I guess the same reason cereal containers went down a few ounces and stayed the same price and dog food stayed the same price and went down 3.5 pounds, all in the name of profit.

just my opinion, though
The almighty dollar, it makes a lot of sense.

I'm just curious becase 25 has been the standard for a very long time now.
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 06:21 PM 07-27-2009
Welcome to the new world of SCHIP my friends. :-)
[Reply]
Aldebaran 07:23 PM 07-27-2009
The 20 count box trend has been growing before SCHIP
[Reply]
BlackDog 07:47 PM 07-27-2009
I'd say that the manufacturers are trying to maintain a price point that they think fits their product. Many are reluctant to let their products be perceived as too expensive. Since people are tightening their financial belts these days, and are senstitive to increasing prices, cigars are easy to cut from the budget when they're perceived to be too expensive. So rather than let their product break, say, the $80 mark due to increasing costs and SCHIP, they reduce the number of sticks per box to stay below that "barrier" number.
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 07:48 PM 07-27-2009
Originally Posted by BlackDog:
I'd say that the manufacturers are trying to maintain a price point that they think fits their product. Many are reluctant to let their products be perceived as too expensive. Since people are tightening their financial belts these days, and are senstitive to increasing prices, cigars are easy to cut from the budget when they're perceived to be too expensive. So rather than let their product break, say, the $80 mark due to increasing costs and SCHIP, they reduce the number of sticks per box to stay below that "barrier" number.
Well said... :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 07:51 PM 07-27-2009
Originally Posted by BlackDog:
:-)
[Reply]
ucla695 08:08 PM 07-27-2009
Plus, the math is easier to figure out how much each cigar costs. :-)
[Reply]
themoneycollector 10:23 AM 07-28-2009
It's ok with me, it's just enough to try one every so often, but a little less burdensome than having to store the additional sticks from a bigger box.
[Reply]
duckmanco 10:34 AM 07-28-2009
I used to hate it myself, but now I feel as though 20 is enough, and if I really love it, I'll get another box or 7. It helps to keep the overall price of the box lower, which even though I know its psychological, it still seems cheaper.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:28 PM 07-28-2009
The recent spate of "vintage" cigars makes me wish they'd bring back "vintage" packaging also. I'd like to get my stogies the same way Mark Twain did - by the barrel.
[Reply]
Mr. Ed 04:20 PM 07-28-2009
Originally Posted by Aldebaran:
The 20 count box trend has been growing before SCHIP
I agree, this trend has been going on at least 2 or 3 years before SCHIP.

I think it's a case of less amount of product for the same amount of money.:-)
[Reply]
sjnovakovich 04:39 PM 07-28-2009
Anyone looked at the contents of a "half-gallon" of ice cream lately? Try 48oz.
[Reply]
68TriShield 04:50 PM 07-28-2009
In my observation, the "bargain" cigars are usually bundles/boxes of 20.

The more popular brand names,not as much...(imo)
[Reply]
Sam Leccia 05:36 PM 08-01-2009
Nice Observation.

While I can only speak for myself, Cain will come in 20 count boxes. SCHIP is certainly the main reason.

You are not buying 20 for the price of 25 I can assure you. It makes a box purchase more feasible. While the majority of cigars are purchased in single form, manufactures obviously only sell in box form.

This is in NO WAY some scheme to inch more money. To further prove that, I am still working on, as an introductory deal, that all Cain boxes will come free with a 5 pack of Cain, to the consumer.
[Reply]
Cigargal 07:30 PM 08-01-2009
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed:
I agree, this trend has been going on at least 2 or 3 years before SCHIP.

I think it's a case of less amount of product for the same amount of money.:-)
exactly...same with candy, sodas, everything is smaller, weighs less and costs only a little bit more. They thought we wouldn't notice.

And 20 cigars is never enough....unless they are cremosas.
[Reply]
Sam Leccia 08:05 PM 08-01-2009
Just wanted to add a little more on this.

In no way has any cigar company that I am aware of, started charging the same price for a 20 count box that they charged for a 25 count box.

The majority of cigars are sold in singles. With the exception of SCIP, cigars haven't really seen a huge price hike.

If cigar X cost $7 per cigar, then your paying $140 for the box of 20, if it was a 25 count box it would cost $175. No one is charging anyone more for less.

This is nothing like candy, or cereal, or any other type of consumable, as you don't buy those items by the piece, but rather only by the box, or bag or how ever else it may be packaged.

No one is trying to pull a fast one on anybody. If anything it is a way to make buying a box more affordable.

No one is trying to pull a fast one on anybody.
[Reply]
Up