Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Mold in Cigar Shop
Steelergar 02:38 PM 07-23-2009
It's awful to talk about but a old cigar shop that moved to a new location here in Charleston has a horrible set up for a walk in humidor. On the side closest to the street it has a tinted window where you can look outside. I first noticed mold on their cigars a couple months ago. On Tats, Cabaguain and Ashton VSG's to make it worse. The next time I went their they had Tats and VSG's in a bargain bin. I went there again 2 weeks ago and the Cabaguain's are still siting there with mold on them and said something to the cashier but she didn't acknowledge it. I learned in cigar 101 that you store cigars in a cool dark place. Sunlight and heat can still get through that tinted window (its in the 90's here now). You would think if you invest all that money in a walk in humidor and the inventory in there, you would know how to store cigars. I feel bad anytime I walk in there seeing Tats and Cabaguain's with mold on the wrapper.
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 02:43 PM 07-23-2009
Set them free man!
Grab 'em and throw em out the front door and let them run!
[Reply]
GTsetGO 02:43 PM 07-23-2009
it's a def turn off. I went into a place here that i don't frequent too often and this visit reminded me why. walked into the little humidor in the back of the store and saw 3 different sizes of VSG's. Each and everyone had mold on them. they looked like chia cigars.

i turned around and walked out.
[Reply]
JJG 03:28 PM 07-23-2009
The only time I've seen mold was in a convenience store that had a small walk-in. Obviously they knew or cared very little about cigars but hey, it's a convenience store. What I don't understand how a cigar shop, who's whole purpose is to sell cigars, can fail at something as basic and simple as proper storage. It's not rocket science!
[Reply]
GreekGodX 03:33 PM 07-23-2009
I cannot believe how lazy and ignorant some store owners can be. Cigars need TLC and hearing about this makes me want to close down their shop. :-)
[Reply]
mcmoyer 03:39 PM 07-23-2009
I was in a shop in Western Colorado last May. The "humidifiers" were blowing a fog/mist out. Not only was there mold on a lot of sticks, there were beetles crawling all over some of the open boxes. I felt like taking a shower after I left the place.

Nasty!!
[Reply]
Steelergar 03:49 PM 07-23-2009
I just thought of a cigar shop in alexandria, VA that had a cigarette ashtray in the walkin humidor full of butts, most likely used by the employees.
[Reply]
eber 04:00 PM 07-23-2009
Originally Posted by mcmoyer:
I was in a shop in Western Colorado last May. The "humidifiers" were blowing a fog/mist out. Not only was there mold on a lot of sticks, there were beetles crawling all over some of the open boxes. I felt like taking a shower after I left the place.

Nasty!!
i was at a shop near me that has similar humidifiers, they blow a fog looking cloud out of them but I have never seen any mold on the sticks, nor have I ever had a problem with the sticks
[Reply]
RottenZombie 04:45 PM 07-23-2009
There is a Wine/liquor shop in Jacksonville,FL with a walk in humi,I decided to check it out last year and noticed quite a few boxes of moldy sticks.I told one of the employees and was told that is was Bloom not mold.:-):-):-)I stopped back about 3 weeks later to get some Patron tequila and noticed that they had a shopping cart full of the Bloom covered cigars being removed from the walk in.:-) It was at this same store I saw a guy removing cigars from a nearly full box and stacking them on the shelves because the box was pretty and they sell them for $3 . :-)
[Reply]
Aldebaran 05:09 PM 07-23-2009
You guys must have bad luck, i've never encountered mold in a shop that was left alone. Then again I havent visited more than five.
[Reply]
Up