Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>A Supreme CC Experience
DougBushBC 09:02 PM 07-14-2009
NOTE: This was a post I made on another forum before I was introduced to the Asylum, and I thought it was worth revisiting, since it was the first amazing smoking experience I have related online and it was the best cigar I had had until tonight's 1998 Opus (See thread "Aged Opus X, or how I learned to love TanithT")

---------------------

So I have been an avid NC smoker for 6 or so years, and truly enjoy the smoking experience. I had long been told that the CC were losing their edge and that the best of the NCs really fit into the pack with the CCs. I had smoked a CC or two before, either while in the Bahamas fishing or from a friend (likely fakes in both places). This sets the scene for my epic adventure.

This past week I was down in Grand Cayman on business, seeing customers of my distributor on the island. Through this distributor I met one of the leading wine salesmen on GC who through conversation I learned also was a avid Cigar Smoker. After two days of business, he asked me if I wanted to come to his cigar dinner that was going to be that night at the restaurant of a chef I was trying to work with as well (disclosure: I am in the meat side of the restaurant supply business). Of course I said yes. I didn't know what kind of event this would be, but I figured I could expense it since it was visiting a customer.

I arrived at 8pm at Hemmingway's Restaurant and was introduced to the head of the event, none other than Valerio Carnale. As I am introduced around, I realize that I am WAY out of my league, dealing with serious CC collectors and smokers. We are passed an app of Cuban potatoes while we sip on a Havana Club Mojito. The first cigar is passed around, and its a Bolivar Gold Medal. I knew from my reading how popular Cuban Lonsdale sizes were, but I have never enjoyed them. This was a perfect opening round. I enjoyed every puff of the spicy leaves.

We were seated for dinner at a table out by the beach under linen accents and torchlight. I was placed between my friend Sergio, the wine guy, and Wallace, who is Valerio's right hand man in the LCDH in Grand Cayman. I spent the whole dinner (Seared Scallops, Tuna Tataki, and Wagyu Beef Fillet with Truffles all expertly prepared by Chef Shetty at Hemingway's) chatting with Wallace about the Cuban cigar industry, which were the "best" and "worst" brands, and about Valerio's extensive collections. The wine throughout was from Portugal and was superb as well.

As the food portion came to a close (but before desert) a few bottles of Havana Club 7 Year Reserve was brought out and served neat to everyone. Desert was a Chocolate Bon with Orange Scent, and as it was being eaten the superstar of the night was unveiled: The Partagas Salomones II LCDH Edition. Now for a normally full-bodied smoker, the strength didn't overpower me, but the amazing depth of flavor and creamy smoke was unlike any large format, full-bodied smoke I had ever had.

We all smoked our Salomones for nearly two hours while drinking the HC 7 Year and talking about our favorite cigars.

What a night to remember. By the time it was done, I walked the mile plus back to my hotel puffing on the last little nub of my Salomones and extinguished it right as I approached my hotel room door.

Needless to say, I am a convert, and can't wait for another trip to visit Valerio and Wallace.
[Reply]
md4958 09:16 PM 07-14-2009
Great story Doug, but next time you go visit Valerio and Wallace take me with you please!!! :-)
[Reply]
DougBushBC 09:19 PM 07-14-2009
Originally Posted by md4958:
Great story Doug, but next time you go visit Valerio and Wallace take me with you please!!! :-)
Learn to sell steaks and I'll take you anytime you want!
[Reply]
md4958 09:20 PM 07-14-2009
Originally Posted by DougBushBC:
dont they pretty much sell themselves??:-)
[Reply]
TanithT 09:21 PM 07-14-2009
Originally Posted by DougBushBC:
I know how to eat steaks, does that count? :-)
[Reply]
DPD6030 11:07 PM 07-14-2009
I'll have to stop by the LCDH and tell hopefully get to meet him. I will tell him you said hi if my cruise ship actually stops there.
[Reply]
DougBushBC 04:56 AM 07-15-2009
Originally Posted by DPD6030:
I'll have to stop by the LCDH and tell hopefully get to meet him. I will tell him you said hi if my cruise ship actually stops there.
If your cruiseship stops in the main Georgetown Moorings, your boat will drop you off RIGHT infront of his shop
[Reply]
karmaz00 11:57 AM 07-15-2009
very nice thanks for sharing
[Reply]
hotreds 12:02 PM 07-15-2009
A most excellent story! Thanks for relating!
[Reply]
ade06 12:12 PM 07-15-2009
Nice story! Thanks for sharing.
[Reply]
pnutbutrsangwich 12:13 PM 07-15-2009
Corrupted by one of the absolute best :-) Very cool story!
[Reply]
csbrewfisher 12:25 PM 07-15-2009
Sometimes we have the good fortune, or blessing depending upon your worldview, to walk into a dream to be savored and appreciated, for it will never again be re-created. This sounds like one of those serendipitous occasions.
[Reply]
Up