Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>If I suddenly go missing...
TheBeard 09:11 PM 07-10-2009
It's because Tanith has decided to take revenge upon me in my sleep.

About a month ago, while Tanith was away at a conference, I went to a cigar event at a local B&M. Being very new to cigars and not really having anything to smoke, myself, she told me to grab a few sticks from her "I don't care" humidor (which has since been repurposed into our pipe tobacco humidor). Turns out, she left a stick in there that she did care about. Turns out, I grabbed that stick. It was the second cigar I smoked that night, and by far the best.

A '99 Cubao.

A month is a long time to wait before giving a proper review, and I'd say that my cigar pallate has greatly improved in that time. Here goes my aching, possibly faulty memory...

I remember it being very smooth and clean, a medium-bodied cigar. Drew like a straw. It started off with some yummy woodsy, almost cedar notes with an undertone of nice Spanish leather.

After the first third, it really changed. A creaminess came into the cigar, followed by what shifted between coffee, chocolate, and this savoriness akin to roasted meat with herbs.

Some spice came around in the end, where cream and Spanish leather mingled on the tongue for a longer and pleasant finish.

It was the second cigar I smoked that day, and I spend the rest of the event lamenting that none of the other cigars were as good.

Rookie mistake. I did a baaaaad thing. :-):-)
[Reply]
JE3146 09:21 PM 07-10-2009
Originally Posted by TheBeard:
It's because Tanith has decided to take revenge upon me in my sleep.

About a month ago, while Tanith was away at a conference, I went to a cigar event at a local B&M. Being very new to cigars and not really having anything to smoke, myself, she told me to grab a few sticks from her "I don't care" humidor (which has since been repurposed into our pipe tobacco humidor). Turns out, she left a stick in there that she did care about. Turns out, I grabbed that stick. It was the second cigar I smoked that night, and by far the best.

A '99 Cubao.

A month is a long time to wait before giving a proper review, and I'd say that my cigar pallate has greatly improved in that time. Here goes my aching, possibly faulty memory...

I remember it being very smooth and clean, a medium-bodied cigar. Drew like a straw. It started off with some yummy woodsy, almost cedar notes with an undertone of nice Spanish leather.

After the first third, it really changed. A creaminess came into the cigar, followed by what shifted between coffee, chocolate, and this savoriness akin to roasted meat with herbs.

Some spice came around in the end, where cream and Spanish leather mingled on the tongue for a longer and pleasant finish.

It was the second cigar I smoked that day, and I spend the rest of the event lamenting that none of the other cigars were as good.

Rookie mistake. I did a baaaaad thing. :-):-)
Great review :-) .. Great way to 'go' :-)

The highlighted portion intrigues me. What makes leather Spanish?
[Reply]
TanithT 09:29 PM 07-10-2009
Possibly one of the earliest NC Pepins, yep. Handed to me by the rep in 1999 at the RTDA.

My *&^%# fault for putting it that humidor. Hope it was yummy. Sad I didn't get a puff. Oh well, I can always roll up your beard and smoke it while you are sleeping. :-)
[Reply]
TanithT 09:34 PM 07-10-2009
Originally Posted by JE3146:
The highlighted portion intrigues me. What makes leather Spanish?
There's "new leather", which is what you smell when you go into Wilson's and there's a zillion leather jackets hanging around. There's other methods of tanning for leather that is not used for garments or car seats and does not need to be as supple, and they result in a slightly different smell that is a bit more earthy and woodsy. I don't know what those methods are specifically, just what they smell like. At one time a lot of Spanish leather products were made like this. I'm not sure if they still are.
[Reply]
alley00p 09:49 PM 07-10-2009
Originally Posted by TanithT:
Possibly one of the earliest NC Pepins, yep. Handed to me by the rep in 1999 at the RTDA.

My *&^%# fault for putting it that humidor. Hope it was yummy. Sad I didn't get a puff. Oh well, I can always roll up your beard and smoke it while you are sleeping. :-)
I'm looking forward to that review, Tanith! :-) :-)

:-)
[Reply]
kzm007 09:57 PM 07-10-2009
:-) yes, please keep us informed :-)!
[Reply]
The Poet 10:27 AM 07-11-2009
Puffing of your partner's hair, hunh? So many jokes, so little time.
[Reply]
kelmac07 11:16 AM 07-11-2009
Rob...sleep with one eye open!!!
[Reply]
Up