Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Tatuaje Reserva SW Maduro
TheBeard 07:27 PM 07-09-2009
I was at my local B&M on Tuesday for the first Raleigh First Tuesday Herf, when inside the humidor I spied a new (to me) Tatuaje reserva: The SW. Since "Tatuaje" = "must try!" in our household, I decided to grab the maduro and give it a puff.

This review will be written in "virutal time" as the cigar is smoked.

Prelight: I'm in for a haul with this smoke. Lovely construction, nice crisp scent to it. Cut. Draw seems a little firm. We'll see.

Light it up, and wow! It's a Tatuaje Reserva alright. Pow right in the kisser with the spice, accompanied by a touch of cedar.

That's just the warm-up, though. About half an inch in, the spice fades out and the cigar gains body. Woodsy notes are still there, cedar faded, and a mellow earthen-almost-herbacious flavor rounds it out.

Around an inch in, some chocolate is starting to come through. This has turned from a Pepin firecracker into a cool and elegant smoke :-)

This would be a great coffee cigar. Perhaps a latte cigar.

Mmm, another inch down and it's getting some nuttiness to it. There's still life in this Tat.

Ack! Relight! I'm being somewhat casual in my smoking of this cigar. That'll show me. Touch of that "brand new leather or electronics" sharp, clean bite on the top, but still nutty and chocolatey.

Definitely a good latte cigar!

Oh yeah, y'all like talking about volume of smoke produced. This has been something of a quiet an elegant smoke. Low to medium-low amount of smoke.

Drat. Relight again, not half an inch past the last one. No damage to the cigar.

Nuttiness dropped off the map all of the sudden about 1/4" after last relight accompanied by an upswing in strength. Finish has a delicious tobacco note now.

It'd be nice if the ash would hang on for longer. Then again, I could just hold the darned thing instead of putting it down after every few drags.

Relight again. This guy is having issues. Then again, I'm not all that great with these longer sticks. The draw, however, has been smooth and consistent the entire way. My worries never came to fruition. Also, lost some strength upon relight. ... oh wait, no, there is is again :-) :-) Touch of cream joining the party now.

Relight AGAIN. :-) It's not me, SW, it's you. A bit more tar on the tongue on the finish.

Oh good. Half an inch later, the tar is gone. I'm about an inch away from the band now. Chocolateyness increased.

Bands removed. It's picking up some fresh leathery notes around band-level.

About 2 inches from lips, needs a relight again. Sudden surge of spice that tickles the top of my head.

Around 1.5 inches from lips, finish draws out with a roasted meat with fresh herbs flavor. Warm on the lips, cool on the tongue. ... and immediately needs a relight. Roast and herbs move to front notes, finish is clean and smooth, slightly creamy.

1 inch from lips. Time to grab the nub tool tedrogers passed me at the Lake Herf. Thanks again, man! Distinct coffee and cream now.

Went out again. Too little to relight. :-)

Final thoughts:
[Reply]
DougBushBC 07:40 PM 07-09-2009
Originally Posted by TheBeard:
4 Petite Tatuaje.[/list]
Is "Tatuaje" the plural of "Tatuaje"

Oh and great review beard!
[Reply]
blooz4u 07:49 PM 07-09-2009
Thanks for the review!
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 08:47 PM 07-10-2009
I liked this cigar, it was more of a milder cigar considering all of Tat lines. Nice review.
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:58 PM 07-10-2009
Great review Rob!!
[Reply]
TomHagen 11:45 PM 07-11-2009
Didn't know there was a maduro version of the Tat SW?
[Reply]
Darrell 12:13 AM 07-12-2009
Originally Posted by TomHagen:
Didn't know there was a maduro version of the Tat SW?
It was a special release. Limited to 5000 sticks and only sold to a shop in FL. The standard SW is a Corojo wrapper.
[Reply]
scooter 09:14 AM 07-12-2009
Thanks for the nice review.
[Reply]
TomHagen 09:26 AM 07-12-2009
thanks for the info, Darrell. Just when you thought u were up on all the Tatuaje(s), Pete does another small batch...
to the OP - great review!!

I have always found the regular SW way too lifeless compared to the other Tats... IMHO.
[Reply]
TheBeard 10:50 AM 07-12-2009
Originally Posted by TomHagen:
I have always found the regular SW way too lifeless compared to the other Tats... IMHO.
The SW Maduro was definitely an elegant, relaxing, and enjoyable smoke. Just about every other Tatuaje is bold, powerful, spicy, vibrant, complex, and in-your-face; it's hard to compare the SW to the rest.
[Reply]
TomHagen 11:00 AM 07-12-2009
Originally Posted by TheBeard:
The SW Maduro was definitely an elegant, relaxing, and enjoyable smoke. Just about every other Tatuaje is bold, powerful, spicy, vibrant, complex, and in-your-face; it's hard to compare the SW to the rest.
the beard knows.
[Reply]
boom 12:39 PM 07-12-2009
Nice review, I'd love to try this in a Maddy!!!
[Reply]
Up