Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Navy Medical Center Visit
DrDubzz 05:54 PM 07-08-2009
Next week (15-17) I am flying out to San Diego to visit the Naval Medical Center.

Why? Because I am considering joining the Navy to be a pharmacist for them for a 3 year (initially anyway) committment. They will repay my loans in those 3 years, instead of it taking 20 years.

I know the financial info and all that, but I wanted to see what life was like for a pharmacist, in the Navy, first hand.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on things to specifically ask about, I've made a list but some fresh perspectives would be welcome.

Thanks
[Reply]
SDmate 06:05 PM 07-08-2009
hope you have time for a S.H.I.T while your here next week.
[Reply]
hotreds 06:08 PM 07-08-2009
Best of luck to you!
[Reply]
DrDubzz 06:34 PM 07-08-2009
Originally Posted by SDmate:
hope you have time for a S.H.I.T while your here next week.
hmmm... I'm not sure what the thursday evening activities will entail. But I'll let you guys know, of course I would have to be picked up, as I won't have a car

I should add, I also want to serve my country, but obviously the loan repayment is a huge incentive.
[Reply]
BUCASmoker 06:40 PM 07-08-2009
Is that a civilian position or active duty? I am a civilian in the Navy, so I might be able to answer some questions
[Reply]
DrDubzz 06:45 PM 07-08-2009
This would be active duty for 3 years.
[Reply]
GoatLocker 08:07 PM 07-08-2009
I think you will find the Navy has a lot to offer. One thing you may want to ask, is what different types of duty choices will be available to you, i.e. locations (Hawaii, Italy, Afghanistan), type of command (hospital, field hospital, clinic, ship), positions (resident, clinician, Dept Head) etc. How long is the training/residency? Also make sure you are maximizing the benefit you receive. I have heard of bonuses as high as $30K for 3 years OR paying off your school loan.
[Reply]
DrDubzz 08:25 PM 07-08-2009
those are definitely some good questions, thanks!

Also, the guys going in this year are getting 120K in repayment PLUS 30K sign on

pretty sweet deal
[Reply]
cbsmokin 06:42 AM 07-09-2009
No military advise, but make sure you visit the San Diego Zoo while you are there. It's right next door.
[Reply]
kenstogie 07:39 AM 07-09-2009
I am an Army Chief (CW2) but there's nothing wrong with the Navy for sure. Be aware that even though your Active commitment is 3 years, everyone's initial MSO (military service obligation) is 8 years. So that means that you'll be active for 3 and inactive for 5 and yes you can be "called up" or activated in an inactive status. That being said I have been in the service for 18 years and think it's got a lot to offer.
[Reply]
kenstogie 07:41 AM 07-09-2009
I am an Army Chief (CW2) but there's nothing wrong with the Navy for sure. Be aware that even though your Active commitment is 3 years, everyone's initial MSO (military service obligation) is 8 years. So that means that you'll be active for 3 and inactive for 5 and yes you can be "call up" or activated in an inactive status. That being said I have been in the service for 18 years and think it's got a lot to offer. Another bit of advice would be to look at what ALL the services have to offer especially the AF.
[Reply]
DrDubzz 10:42 PM 07-09-2009
Originally Posted by kenstogie:
Another bit of advice would be to look at what ALL the services have to offer especially the AF.
I've been researching the branches for a couple years now, AF doesn't do repayment, only scholarships. That narrows it to the Army and Navy for me... and well, as they say, location location location :-)
[Reply]
DrDubzz 10:43 PM 07-09-2009
Originally Posted by cbsmokin:
No military advise, but make sure you visit the San Diego Zoo while you are there. It's right next door.
grew up in socal, been many a time, it's the best zoo

however I'll be on the Navy's time and dime, so there won't be too much leisure activity available to me
[Reply]
marge796 12:05 AM 07-10-2009
GO NAVY!!!!

:-)

Chris.....
[Reply]
Up