Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Carlos Torano Casa Torano toro
BlackIrish 07:02 PM 10-20-2008
The cigar: Casa Torano toro

I've always found Torano cigars to offer an excellent price/quality ratio, particularly when acquired at auction. This was the third stick I've smoked from a 5pk I bought about 6mos ago.

Nutritional information:
vitola: 6.25 x 50
origin: Honduras
wrapper: Ecuadoran CTS
binder:Nicaraguan
filler: "Honduras, Nicaragua and a family blend of Central & South American tobaccos" (courtesy of the Torano website)

Humidor time: 6 mos

Prelight: Pretty, with a silky smooth, tan, nearly veinless wrapper. The maroon and gold label was a tad large but it looked very nice against the wrapper. Well filled, well rolled, offering a spicy cedar scent from the foot. The flattish head took a punch well, revealing an easy draw -- almost too easy.

Burn: This cigar lit beautifully and burned as straight as any cigar I've had. The draw was fine, producing clouds of smoke. The solid grey-white ash held tightly, resisting a bit when tipped. Construction was just outstanding. Burn time was not quite 90 minutes.

Flavor: This cigar is often described as "mild," but I find it has more flavor and body than most mild cigars (as a rule, I'm not a big fan of mild cigars, preferring something with a little more muscle to it). It's no JdN Antano or Camacho bruiser -- not by a long shot -- but it's a great mild-to-medium morning cigar for those of us who tend toward the stronger side of things.

The flavors here are good and complex. It's creamy throughout. At lighting, there's some toast and cinnamony baking spice, with a sweetness at the core. As the smoke progresses -- and this is one to take slowly to prevent harshness -- the spice flavors intensify a touch, and a nutty flavor develops, with some leather on the finish. When I got down to the last inch and a half or so the flavor got harsh, so I dumped it.

Overall, this is a very respectable cigar. It's not going to make you throw out your Tatuajes and Anejos, but it is a nice smoke for those times when you're looking for something that's a bit milder.

BlackIrish
[Reply]
Whee 08:13 PM 10-20-2008
just smoked one of these last night and I got the same impressions as you did. Nice little mild stick.
[Reply]
dccraft 06:20 AM 10-21-2008
Great review. I really like these even though the bundle I have are less than 2 mo old. I am going to let a few age for awhile to see if the change much. I really like the pleasant taste that you described. Mild but definitely not bland.
[Reply]
Coz77 06:24 AM 10-21-2008
Another great review Eddie...Keep em coming bro. :-)
[Reply]
BlackIrish 10:36 AM 10-21-2008
Thanks, Mark. Glad you enjoyed it. I'll keep smoking and reviewing!
[Reply]
jechelman 12:10 PM 10-21-2008
One of the best mild to medium sticks IMHO.

Frank
[Reply]
Boobar 04:57 PM 10-22-2008
Originally Posted by jechelman:
One of the best mild to medium sticks IMHO.

Frank
:-)

Torano makes some tasty sticks, I am kind of partial to his Signature Collection.
[Reply]
dccraft 05:21 PM 06-26-2009
Had another from the same bundle tonight. A very mellow and smooth flavor. I believe that they have moved closer to the mild side since I last had one. A nutty mixed in there as well. This one is keeper in my book . :-)
[Reply]
Up