Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Sports>Tour de France
Noodles 10:02 AM 07-22-2009
Originally Posted by gorob23:
NOT SO FAST MY BOOKEND FRIEND!

you kids you never give us old guys credit! Lance may or may not be done. The thing he has learned is that you don't show all your cards because you never know. The race goes ALL the way until the end.
I mean really did you smoke ONE cigar at So cal and say that's it I'm done! :-)

Stupid Me&^%!@:-)

Rob :-)
I want Lance to do so well, hell I am the same age as he is. I was hoping for him to do a lot better. I'm a big fan of his. In fact, I am amazed on what he had shown the last two days. I watched the replay last night and his acceleration in order to bridge the gap on the last climb brought back memories of his first few TDF wins.

Just looked at what happened yesterday and today. Ignore the Verbier stage. He was able to hang with the strongest climbers when they are doing a fast tempo in order to shed the pack. But when they (AC, Schelck brothers) attacked, he can't respond anymore. He can out climb the other contenders but not the strongest climbers. He said so himself.

Can LA still win the TDF? Highly unlikely unless something bad happens to AC like 4 flat tires and 2 crashes in ITT :-).
Can LA podium? Possibly. He will definitely grab some time from the Schleck brothers. They time trial like I climb a hill :-). I expect Wiggins and possibly Kloeden to have a strong showing tomorrow as well. I wouldn't be surprise if LA TT's time is better than AC tomorrow.

As for AC, what the **** was he thinking today? He attacked and dropped Kloeden. Possibly costing Kloeden a podium finish. That kid is dumb.

Was I suppose to smoke more than one cigar? M!@#$#%.
[Reply]
Steve 10:07 AM 07-22-2009
Originally Posted by bonggoy:
Just looked at what happened yesterday and today. Ignore the Verbier stage. He was able to hang with the strongest climbers when they are doing a fast tempo in order to shed the pack. But when they (AC, Schelck brothers) attacked, he can't respond anymore. He can out climb the other contenders but not the strongest climbers. He said so himself.
Was he unable to respond, or do you think he was waiting to see if they could keep up the pace (there by picking his place and time to respond)? I don't know much about the statagy of bike racing, but I know he sure looks pretty comfortable out there when some of the rest are looking haggard. I also think he a a cagy ol' fart!

Just my $0.02
[Reply]
Noodles 11:16 AM 07-22-2009
Originally Posted by steve:
Was he unable to respond, or do you think he was waiting to see if they could keep up the pace (there by picking his place and time to respond)? I don't know much about the statagy of bike racing, but I know he sure looks pretty comfortable out there when some of the rest are looking haggard. I also think he a a cagy ol' fart!

Just my $0.02
When AC attacked during the last climb at the Verbier Stage, you can argue that Armstrong sat up. I think that's the normal team strategy. However, his comments after that stage ("AC showed he is the strongest") and his comments after after yesterday stage ("That's what I should have done") led me to believe that Astana's leadership was still up for grabs at that time. He could have gone up with AC and/or counter attacked if he can or wanted to. He just wasn't able to.

If AC is not with Astana, I can believe this is still part of his strategy. Cycling rope-a-dope.

LA seems to be getting better as the week progress. He proved me wrong there. I thought with his age and absence from elite racing will be detrimental for his body towards the end of the TDF.

We will know for sure tomorrow.
[Reply]
Steve 11:54 AM 07-22-2009
I take his comments "That's what I should have done" and AC showed he was strongest" kinda like poker table talk.

But I agree, tomorrow we will know more.
[Reply]
Noodles 12:40 PM 07-22-2009
Originally Posted by steve:
I take his comments "That's what I should have done" and AC showed he was strongest" kinda like poker table talk.

But I agree, tomorrow we will know more.
What have we seen so far from Armstrong? He can still climb but not as well as the very best. If he can gain back some time from the Schleck's, then he will podium.

Going to be a great stage tomorrow.
[Reply]
tsolomon 03:29 PM 07-22-2009
I don't think Lance can make up 4 minutes on AC, but with the time trial tomorrow and Mount Ventoux on Saturday he could make up 1:30 on Andy Schleck to finish second. With both Bruyneel and Armstrong leaving Astana next year, will the Tour even invite Astana next year if Contador is gone and Vinokourov is back? :-)
[Reply]
Noodles 03:51 PM 07-22-2009
Originally Posted by tsolomon:
I don't think Lance can make up 4 minutes on AC, but with the time trial tomorrow and Mount Ventoux on Saturday he could make up 1:30 on Andy Schleck to finish second. With both Bruyneel and Armstrong leaving Astana next year, will the Tour even invite Astana next year if Contador is gone and Vinokourov is back? :-)
Next years tour will be interesting. Levi, Popo and possibly Kloeden will go with LA and JB to the new team. Contador and Paulhino to another team, unless they patch things up somehow. Lance might give it a shot for another year just to give some publicity to his new team. I'm sure if I'm one of the backers, I will require him to ride at least the TDF.
[Reply]
Opusfxd 06:26 PM 07-22-2009

As for AC, what the **** was he thinking today? He attacked and dropped Kloeden. Possibly costing Kloeden a podium finish. That kid is dumb.
:-) Heck of a resume AC's putting together for next year. Yeah he's a good rider, but twice now?? Really.
[Reply]
gorob23 07:39 PM 07-22-2009
I want Lance to do so well, hell I am the same age as he is.
:-) Stupid Mex&@* Now I really feel old! because I have 16 years on both of you! :-)

Next years tour will be interesting. Levi, Popo and possibly Kloeden will go with LA and JB to the new team. Contador and Paulhino to another team, unless they patch things up somehow. Lance might give it a shot for another year just to give some publicity to his new team. I'm sure if I'm one of the backers, I will require him to ride at least the TDF.

You are right on with this, because Lance already said he was coming back next year. I think this year showed him that he is still in the game and wants to give it another whirl....Kinda like when I beat the crap out of Allen in the auction :-)

Was I suppose to smoke more than one cigar? M!@#$#%.
You were supposed to keep up with Mr. Nee. I didn't smoke one on Sunday I was done! :-)

Rob
[Reply]
Noodles 10:09 AM 07-23-2009
Woah Contador!!! Not bad for Andy Schleck.

I'm still not sure if Wiggins can take some time from LA on Ventoux. The climb is longer which seems to suit LA's.
[Reply]
Opusfxd 10:40 PM 07-23-2009
Sorry for this but I've jumped on the 'I hope Contador crashes' bandwagon. Twice attacking his team doesn't help.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up