Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Imported Cremosa Cubana, Not Your Typical Result
ca21455 08:56 AM 07-04-2009
From the post "I've Not Written Off Any Brands Yet I mentioned I had never smoked a Cremosa. Ferdinand (Don Fernando) offered to send me one so I took him up. He also sent some very nice smokes as tag-a-longs:

Something from the Netherlands

Yes I have read all the glowing reports on this cigar, so I was ready for the worst.

This is a fairly ugly cigar with some blotches and poor construction.

Remembering that Cremosas cost then $1, you have to consider what would make this a terrible cigar?
  1. Unable to unplug
  2. Uneven burn that requires frequent touchup
  3. Low smoke volume
  4. Tastes like crap
So, how did the Cremosa do?

Not plugged, had a nice draw with just the right amount of resistance.

It appears to be packed to loose to provide a good draw, however that is not the case.

Burn was quite even the whole smoke.

Volume of smoke was good.

The cigar cut nicely even though the cap was not constructed very well.

As far as taste goes, honestly it is not bad. Very one dimensional from start to finish. There is a touch of creaminess with an undertone of spice that is slightly bitter. The last 1/3 gets a little rough. It started to burn hot, this made the bitterness predominant. Extending time between puffs mellowed out the bitterness and some of the creaminess returned. It would be a good idea to quit after the first 2/3.

From start to finish, there was never any prevalent flavor I particularly enjoyed or immensely disliked. This is a medium strength, medium to mild bodied cigar. Finish was ok, but had a touch of sourness.

It is not worth more then a buck, but you get your dollars worth especially on the first 2/3 of the smoke. Maybe they have better Cremosas in the Netherlands?

Would I buy this cigar? No, but mainly because it does not fit the full bodied profile that I enjoy. But I certainly would not ridicule someone for smoking this cigar. Not a bad buy for a dollar.
[Reply]
The Poet 09:25 AM 07-04-2009
Thanks for the review. As I have found a few others that would seem to suit my palate in this price range, I'm not likely to try these myself - yet I wish Cremosa all the best. Everybody should have the right to earn a buck - even if it's only a buck at a time.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 12:06 PM 07-04-2009
Originally Posted by ca21455:
Maybe they have better Cremosas in the Netherlands?
We don't have Cremosas in The Netherlands. I asked for one, some time ago, and got 4 instead. Smoked one, decided never to smoke another one so I had 3 lying around collecting dust untill you wanted one :-) the others I will send to Jon Caputo.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 12:08 PM 07-04-2009
John, from this review, I think you enjoy torture. :-)
[Reply]
bobarian 04:28 PM 07-04-2009
Sometimes you get lucky with Cremosa's and get one that tastes like wet cardboard. The unlucky ones get the dead fish taste. The one I smoked was wet cardboard, but it was the odor of the resting smoke that nearly killed me!

Nice review and pics. :-)
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 04:59 PM 07-04-2009
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
John, from this review, I think you enjoy torture. :-)
:-) and :-)

Thanks for being a martyr and doing this review.
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 07:31 PM 07-04-2009
Were you so bored that you had to smoke this thing? I went pretty far with mine... then dumped it out.
[Reply]
kelmac07 07:49 PM 07-04-2009
Nice review..I too have never smoked a Cremosa, but I have burned a Gorilla Finger. I have learned my lesson!!!
[Reply]
Don Fernando 02:29 AM 07-05-2009
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Nice review..I too have never smoked a Cremosa, but I have burned a Gorilla Finger. I have learned my lesson!!!
:-) I will add one to our little 'trade' :-)
[Reply]
Volt 04:23 AM 07-05-2009
Good review and very similiar to what I tasted on the one I smoked. Definitly not the worst I have ever smoked.
[Reply]
taltos 04:59 AM 07-05-2009
Between the Cremosa and the Grape Swisher, I would smoke another Grape Swisher first. Thank you for taking one for the team.:-)
[Reply]
ca21455 06:47 AM 07-05-2009
Thanks for all the sympathy. Either I have no taste (my wife fully agrees on this point) or the Cremosa I had was not particularly bad. I can see how these can get pretty raunchy. When it started burning hot it was quite the nasty smoke. But as long as I kept it cool it was tolerable, which is all I would expect from a $1 cigar.
[Reply]
ChasDen 06:54 AM 07-05-2009
I don't think I have ever smoked one myself, but bought 20 or so early on. I gave a few to a guy at work and he loved them, back then (a year or so ago). I asked him recently if he has smoked one lately and he said about a month ago he smoked the last one he had and it tasted just OK now.

I still have a few in the cheap-o box and just cant bring myself to trying one.

Thanks for the review:-)

Chas
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:34 AM 07-05-2009
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
:-) I will add one to our little 'trade' :-)
Ferdie...no need for that...there is nothing in your box that compare to that stick (and that's a good thing)!!! :-):-)
[Reply]
icehog3 08:52 AM 07-05-2009
But I certainly would not ridicule someone for smoking this cigar. Not a bad buy for a dollar.
Forgive me if I cannot join you in upholding this standard, John! :-) :-)
[Reply]
ca21455 11:00 AM 07-06-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Forgive me if I cannot join you in upholding this standard, John! :-) :-)
Maybe I smoked a fake Cremosa, could be why it was not as bad as advertised. :-)
[Reply]
blooz4u 11:09 AM 07-06-2009
Ugh.... No Thanks!
[Reply]
BlackDog 11:10 AM 07-06-2009
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe:
Thanks for being a martyr and doing this review.
I rate John right up with Patrick Henry: "Give me Liberty, or give me a Cremosa." :-)

Maybe I smoked a fake Cremosa, could be why it was not as bad as advertised. :-)
Maybe it was a Cremoso?
[Reply]
ChasDen 09:00 PM 07-06-2009
Also makes you wonder how many of these gems CI bought :-)

They have been running the same add in the catalog for well over a year that I know of, could be longer.

There has to be someone out there buying the "They originally sold for something like $8 per cigars". :-)

Chas
[Reply]
ca21455 06:16 PM 07-07-2009
Originally Posted by BlackDog:
Maybe it was a Cremoso?
I think you have something there! :-)
[Reply]
Up