Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Sports>Tony George resigns as CEO of IMS
Whee 07:39 PM 06-30-2009
http://www.indystar.com/article/2009...of+IRL+and+IMS

If anyone needed more proof of what a douche (with apologies to ADB) this guy is, his family runs the board that forced him out.

Good Riddance.

Now I won;t feel guilty spending money at the track in three weeks.:-)
[Reply]
mash 07:42 PM 06-30-2009
When your mother has to "wish you every success", you've screwed up.
[Reply]
RBOrrell 02:37 PM 07-02-2009
"Last year, he was the driving force behind unification of the sport."

What the artiicle failed to say that 10 years before he was the driving force behiind the splitting up of the sport and forever giving NASCAR the limelight.

All I can say is "What took them so long?" Don't let the door hit you on the a$$ on the way out Tony.
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 03:45 PM 07-02-2009
[Reply]
The Poet 03:54 PM 07-02-2009
Don't wanna start a fight, but George did not give NASCAR the limelight - Bill France took it.
[Reply]
smitdavi 04:21 PM 07-02-2009
Originally Posted by illinoishoosier:
http://www.indystar.com/article/2009...of+IRL+and+IMS

If anyone needed more proof of what a douche (with apologies to ADB) this guy is, his family runs the board that forced him out.

Good Riddance.

Now I won;t feel guilty spending money at the track in three weeks.:-)
Got to disagree with you on this one Sean. He did so much for the track and basically financially kept the IRL and it's teams afloat for the last handful of years. People like me who REALLY like open wheel racing owe a little gratitude to him. He turned a relic of a track into the mecca of motor sports and a world class racing facility. Yes he is responsible for the split, but he had a good idea in theory. He basically he also funded the merger last year. I'm afraid the new board will stop funding the IRL and it's teams therefore making the series and the sport extinct. I am truly worried for the future of open wheeled racing. Changes did need to happen and I do think it is a needed move. He did a lot of good for the sport. No where else do you see the CEO of a major racing facility and the face of a series at local dirt shows watching the young talent. I hope and pray for the best for the series and the track. Also I keep my fingers crossed that they bring F1 back to the states.
[Reply]
Whee 04:42 PM 07-02-2009
Originally Posted by smitdavi:
Got to disagree with you on this one Sean. He did so much for the track and basically financially kept the IRL and it's teams afloat for the last handful of years. People like me who REALLY like open wheel racing owe a little gratitude to him. He turned a relic of a track into the mecca of motor sports and a world class racing facility. Yes he is responsible for the split, but he had a good idea in theory. He basically he also funded the merger last year. I'm afraid the new board will stop funding the IRL and it's teams therefore making the series and the sport extinct. I am truly worried for the future of open wheeled racing. Changes did need to happen and I do think it is a needed move. He did a lot of good for the sport. No where else do you see the CEO of a major racing facility and the face of a series at local dirt shows watching the young talent. I hope and pray for the best for the series and the track. Also I keep my fingers crossed that they bring F1 back to the states.
We will have to disagree. I grew up 50 miles north of the track. Started working at the Kokomo Speedway when I was 10 (got to love the mid 70s labor laws:-)) Went to the track alot as a kid.

Once the split occurred, open wheel racing started a decline that continues today. NASCAR capitalized on that. I can applaud him for financing the IRL, but in the end, he didn;t deliver what he initially promised. A less expensive, oval based, American driven sport.

The IRL was struggling before TG left. Small fields, unexciting racing, lack of fan interest. When the biggest draw and attention grabber are boobs(god love 'er though)(and the pr mill is hot with rumors of her move to NASCAR, which would be a disaster) you know you are hurting.

Now if you want to hang out at Bloomington, Paragon, or Lincoln Park (not even sure the last two still exist) and watch good racing, then :-):-)
[Reply]
The Poet 04:45 PM 07-02-2009
I was born and raised in the heart of NASCAR country, and IMHO you can keep Danica Patrick, thank you very much - and please take Tony Stewart back too.
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 04:48 PM 07-02-2009
Originally Posted by The Poet:
I was born and raised in the heart of NASCAR country, and IMHO you can keep Danica Patrick, thank you very much - and please take Tony Stewart back too.
This is for Tony Stewart

[Reply]
smitdavi 05:48 PM 07-02-2009

Now if you want to hang out at Bloomington, Paragon, or Lincoln Park (not even sure the last two still exist) and watch good racing, then :-):-)
See now we're talking. You will find me at the famous red clay in Bloomington EVERY Friday night. Some of the best open wheel racing in the country. In fact I built a web page for one of the drivers this past off season.ChaseBriscoe.com Just about everyone in NASCAR started racing sprinters around this area. If you want to see good young talent on dirt that will eventually be driving big time in the future come to Indiana in the summer and tour the bull rings. Yeah Sean, both Paragon and Lincoln Park are both still running. They each have a stop during Indiana Sprint Week
[Reply]
Whee 06:32 PM 07-02-2009
Originally Posted by smitdavi:
See now we're talking. You will find me at the famous red clay in Bloomington EVERY Friday night. Some of the best open wheel racing in the country. In fact I built a web page for one of the drivers this past off season.ChaseBriscoe.com Just about everyone in NASCAR started racing sprinters around this area. If you want to see good young talent on dirt that will eventually be driving big time in the future come to Indiana in the summer and tour the bull rings. Yeah Sean, both Paragon and Lincoln Park are both still running. They each have a stop during Indiana Sprint Week
I pit crewed for a guy out of Kokomo a looong time ago for one summer. 1981, I think. Before you were even born!!:-)(Man, I feel old..) Fond memories of the "tour" The aforementioned tracks, Kokomo, Winchester, Anderson, Avilla. <sigh> I miss the gold ol' days.

Never made it to Knoxville or Eldora. Both are on the bucket list though.

I think a Friday nigh track sounds like a fantastic idea...:-)
[Reply]
smitdavi 09:18 PM 07-02-2009
I think a Friday nigh track sounds like a fantastic idea...:-)
If you want to go to a race let me know. I take a cooler full of beer and a loaded cigar caddy each Friday night :-)
[Reply]
Up