Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Opus X Robusto
TanithT 05:14 PM 06-29-2009
I was passing by the JR's in Selma on my way back from tech-ninja's truly awesome Lake Greenwood herf, and I noticed there were a lot of Opus for sale. Now this is not my stick, and I've never been very impressed by any that I've smoked in the past. But I know a lot of the BOTL's on here like them and consider them hard to find, so I grabbed a few handfuls on their behalf. I haven't smoked one for awhile, so I thought I'd give the robusto a try.

Meh. The predominant flavor was of Pepsi. It was bland and faintly sweet, subtly floral, with a bit of sweet spice (cinnamon and nutmeg) that developed about midway through. There was just a slight trace of nuttiness and woodsiness. The flavors were well-balanced, but there just wasn't much there. Abundant white smoke, and about the best thing I can say for it was that it had a very decent long finish and a pleasant aftertaste. I handed it over to Rob and he said about the same thing. If I really want to taste a can of Pepsi I'll drink one, and it won't cost twelve bucks.

Not really very impressed with this stick. We both liked the $2 bundled maduro we lit up at the same time better than either of us liked the Opus. Still happy to facilitate other people getting some when they show up in my neck of the woods, because I am not going to be all that interested in keeping any for myself. Y'all can definitely have my share.
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 05:22 PM 06-29-2009
We're a lot alike. Well, maybe not, but I don't care for the Opus either. I like this one:

MCS
[Reply]
shilala 05:22 PM 06-29-2009
I just can't dig the Opus, either. I keep trying, and I just plain don't like them.
I can think of a dozen $2.00 maduro sticks I'd rather smoke.
Thank God it's not the only cigar out there. :-)
[Reply]
Texan in Mexico 06:04 PM 06-29-2009
That makes three of us - I've never seen a cigar sit in a field of dandelions.

Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly:
We're a lot alike. Well, maybe not, but I don't care for the Opus either. I like this one:

MCS

[Reply]
G G 06:16 PM 06-29-2009
I got one that DrHalle gifted me a year ago. I will have to smoke it soon and see if I am in the Love it or Hate it camp, thanks for the review.
[Reply]
BryanB 06:20 PM 06-29-2009
I'm not nuts over them either. I do think they get better with age but not worth it IMO.
[Reply]
flat6nut 06:31 PM 06-29-2009
I have smoked a lot of opusX and I truley love them. They are what they are...a very smooth $12 stick, with lots of smoke. I on the other hand would not pay the $20-$30-$40+ that other people pay. The only reason I buy them up is because they are not available every day.

The biggest cigar dissapointment I have had is with Davidoff. Way over priced for such a whimpy cigar.

I'm with you guys though...cheap Maduro's are all I need.
[Reply]
Scottw 08:57 PM 06-29-2009
Originally Posted by flat6nut:
I have smoked a lot of opusX and I truley love them. They are what they are...a very smooth $12 stick, with lots of smoke. I on the other hand would not pay the $20-$30-$40+ that other people pay. The only reason I buy them up is because they are not available every day.

The biggest cigar dissapointment I have had is with Davidoff. Way over priced for such a whimpy cigar.

I'm with you guys though...cheap Maduro's are all I need.
I agree, at least the two I have smoked so far had an OK flavor but no body or depth.
[Reply]
mrreindeer 06:39 AM 06-30-2009
Thank you for the review & for helping out all the guys & gals on here with their Opus fixes. I might have to ping you if I get low. :-)

Originally Posted by flat6nut:
:-) Absolutely agree, although I've only had about 5 so far with a few resting.
[Reply]
newlifetaxidermy 07:54 AM 06-30-2009
I really like the thinner ring gauge Opus, but the thicker ones don't do much for me. As has been stated, they are not that spectacular ROTT, but develop nicely with a few months/years age.
[Reply]
thebiglebowski 08:04 AM 06-30-2009
Originally Posted by TanithT:
I was passing by the JR's in Selma on my way back from tech-ninja's truly awesome Lake Greenwood herf, and I noticed there were a lot of Opus for sale. Now this is not my stick, and I've never been very impressed by any that I've smoked in the past. But I know a lot of the BOTL's on here like them and consider them hard to find, so I grabbed a few handfuls on their behalf. I haven't smoked one for awhile, so I thought I'd give the robusto a try.

Meh. The predominant flavor was of Pepsi. It was bland and faintly sweet, subtly floral, with a bit of sweet spice (cinnamon and nutmeg) that developed about midway through. There was just a slight trace of nuttiness and woodsiness. The flavors were well-balanced, but there just wasn't much there. Abundant white smoke, and about the best thing I can say for it was that it had a very decent long finish and a pleasant aftertaste. I handed it over to Rob and he said about the same thing. If I really want to taste a can of Pepsi I'll drink one, and it won't cost twelve bucks.

Not really very impressed with this stick. We both liked the $2 bundled maduro we lit up at the same time better than either of us liked the Opus. Still happy to facilitate other people getting some when they show up in my neck of the woods, because I am not going to be all that interested in keeping any for myself. Y'all can definitely have my share.
so, you're saying you're a coca-cola gal?
[Reply]
Up