Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>PAN Humidity question
Col. Kurtz 07:08 AM 06-15-2009
I had my first PAN a few days ago and I was less than impressed. I enjoyed the (natural) londres and delicias much more than this smoke. I run this humi at 63% which the Pepin's seem to love, but the Padron maybe not.

The PAN was kinda harsh and in-your-face, is this normal or do they like 68-70% better? The Pepin's seem to draw worse and burn funny at that level.... I may just not be able to appreciate the Pans yet, but I really expected a lot more with this smoke.

TIA
[Reply]
DougBushBC 07:41 AM 06-15-2009
I keep mine about 69 or so, and have LOVED some PANs, not sure if its personal taste or humidity.
[Reply]
PeteSB75 07:50 AM 06-15-2009
I keep everything at 70. Given that, I have always found the PANs, in any size, to have a harsher flavor than the PAMs, which are smooth and delicious, and one of my favorite NC sticks.
[Reply]
JJG 07:58 AM 06-15-2009
Originally Posted by PeteSB75:
I have always found the PANs, in any size, to have a harsher flavor than the PAMs, which are smooth and delicious, and one of my favorite NC sticks.
:-)

I don't smoke too many maduros but the PAMs are much better in my experience. I tend to prefer the maduro versions of the regular Padron line as well.
[Reply]
Col. Kurtz 08:08 AM 06-15-2009
Originally Posted by DougBushBC:
I keep mine about 69 or so, and have LOVED some PANs, not sure if its personal taste or humidity.
Originally Posted by PeteSB75:
I keep everything at 70. Given that, I have always found the PANs, in any size, to have a harsher flavor than the PAMs, which are smooth and delicious, and one of my favorite NC sticks.

Thanks gents,

I think I'll bury them in my 68% cooler and see how they are in another month...
[Reply]
OLS 10:17 AM 06-15-2009
Originally Posted by Col. Kurtz:
The PAN was kinda harsh and in-your-face, is this normal?
You know, I loved them at one time, but that was in the beginning, when there was so much sticker shock that every one you bought was shelf aged. Once they got a little more popular and the stock moved at a good pace, that's the same impression I GOT. I stopped smoking them altogether. I find their base line to be SO DAMN GOOD that there is no reason IMO to ever smoke the anniversarios, and especially not the ones more expensive than that. Have you ever had the regular line panatelas? CRAZY GOOD. But alas, now all I smoke is Have-annas, so I don't get much Padron now, anyway, but I still plug them hard, because I think they are the best value in NC smoking, period!
[Reply]
Col. Kurtz 11:05 AM 06-15-2009
Originally Posted by OLS:
... I find their base line to be SO DAMN GOOD that there is no reason IMO to ever smoke the anniversarios, and especially not the ones more expensive than that. Have you ever had the regular line panatelas? CRAZY GOOD.

Agreed,

I guess I was a little disappointed, particularly for the price.... The regular line (in small RG) is about the best thing going IMHO, (don't like the 2k, 3k etc.) and yes I won a box of the panatelas on C-Bid recently. I smoked one ROTT and it was a darned spicy tasty smoke. It was like a 1.5 hour licorice stick :-) I can't wait to see what they are like once they assume RH.
[Reply]
Up