Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Gispert Maduro Robusto
Whee 08:15 PM 06-02-2009
Been awhile since I posted a review, should have waited a little longer.:-)

Here's the stats:

Gispert Maduro Box Press
5x54
Filler: Honduran/Nicaraguan
Wrapper: Mexican San Andreas Marron

Here's the dark beauty plotting it's revenge....

Appearance is very nice. Color is dark brown, with a nice smooth wrapper. The only imperfection is that the cap looks a little bunched. Getting a pleasant cinnamon aroma, pre light, and the draw is firm. Clipped easily, although there is a depression at the head where I clipped the cap. Getting a sweet tea taste with some cinnamon on pre light draw.

No 5 minute pic because this is an ugly stick when it burns. The flavor is a good earthy taste, with some sweetness and pepper coming through. Aroma is a bit campfire like. All good, except the burn is very crooked.

25 minutes and I am light headed form puffing on this thing. The draw is good, but the cigar tends to want to go out if I am not constantly paying attention to it. Really have to puff on it to get it going again.

Five more minutes and I can't stand it anymore. Actually went out while I was jotting down my notes for the above paragraph. Blech!

Too bad, this one had potential with it's flavor, but the ragged burn and relighting doomed this.

No score tonight.
[Reply]
m69c44 10:01 PM 06-02-2009
I agree with you on this one. I have had the same problems with the same stick. I check it off to being kind of young (I smoke it right off the truck.B&M had just got these in) Yes they are a great looking smoke and I too expected more from them. I have one more in the bottom of the box so I will try it again in about a month and see if it changes.
Thanks for the review :-)
[Reply]
GHC_Hambone 10:32 PM 06-02-2009
Bought a 5er of these from C-Bid a few years ago. Had the same problem with all 5. Terrible construction.
[Reply]
Whee 10:41 PM 06-02-2009
Originally Posted by m69c44:
I agree with you on this one. I have had the same problems with the same stick. I check it off to being kind of young (I smoke it right off the truck.B&M had just got these in) Yes they are a great looking smoke and I too expected more from them. I have one more in the bottom of the box so I will try it again in about a month and see if it changes.
Thanks for the review :-)
I've had this one for at least a year. I think I have a few more. I remember smoking one before that was pretty good, just not this one. They can't all be good.:-)
[Reply]
mikeyj23 05:35 AM 06-03-2009
I enjoyed the hell out of these a few years ago - I'd completely forgotten about them. Thanks for the reminder.
[Reply]
Rockestone 05:52 AM 06-03-2009
Thanks for the review!!:-)
[Reply]
Mr.Maduro 06:03 AM 06-03-2009
I don't have much experience with the robustos, but the toros and coronas are some of the best cheap smokes I've had! :-)
[Reply]
dccraft 07:59 AM 06-04-2009
I really like these sticks but I agree that the draw always seems tight to me. Maybe if they didn't box press them they would be better.
[Reply]
JJG 03:37 PM 06-04-2009
I tried one of these because the salesperson highly recommended it. I don't remember any draw problems but the flavor was just too mild for me, and I hardly ever say that. It was like smoking air. Mine may have been the natural though I'm not sure.
[Reply]
Whee 05:14 PM 06-04-2009
Originally Posted by dccraft:
I really like these sticks but I agree that the draw always seems tight to me. Maybe if they didn't box press them they would be better.
The draw wasn't bad, just a little firm...don't think that was the issue...had tighter draws that were much easier to smoke. It just wasn't meant to be.

Good thing I got more cigars to smoke!:-)
[Reply]
Up