Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Question about the U.S.A. & Cuba
Stig 06:29 AM 05-21-2009
So I am listening to Nation Public Radio this morning and the coverage is of the numerous politicians that are discussing the ordered closing of Guantonimo Bay in Cuba. (Not looking to turn this into a political discussion so please try to keep it that way) One of the politicians mentioned that one of his reason for keeping it open was the cost and said that we lease the land from Cuba for $4,000.00 per year. My confusion is this; How is that it is illeagle for U.S. Citizens to purchase products manufactured in Cuba due to our trade embargo but it is ok for the government to give the Cuban government money every year to lease land in Cuba? Am I missing something here?:-)
[Reply]
TripleF 06:49 AM 05-21-2009
Rule #1 when considering things our government is involved in-

making common sense IS NOT, I repeat, IS NOT a requirement.

Laugh, and ponder, but the cold hard truth is - the common sense you and I use to make decisions is not used by the government.

Who else would tax the crap out of tobacco users and at the same time heavily promote, advertise and market that we common folks quit the use of tobacco products.
[Reply]
taltos 07:02 AM 05-21-2009
The treaty involving the naval base goes back well before the revolution in which Castro took power. Since it is in our interests to have a base on the tip of Cuba, we continue to pay the lease fee every year and Cuba fails to cash the check for the lease fee every year. If it were not in our best interests to have this base, the Navy would have left Cuba years ago.
[Reply]
GreekGodX 07:04 AM 05-21-2009
Originally Posted by TripleF:
Rule #1 when considering things our government is involved in-

making common sense IS NOT, I repeat, IS NOT a requirement.
:-) The government basically can do whatever they want.
[Reply]
PeteSB75 07:11 AM 05-21-2009
4,000.00 a year? You kidding me? If they give it up, let me know and I will assume the lease. Heck, I'll even let you guys all come crash, I hear they have some nice bunkers and stuff. I promise not to lock you in... :-)
[Reply]
SeanGAR 07:33 AM 05-21-2009
Originally Posted by TripleF:

Laugh, and ponder, but the cold hard truth is - the common sense you and I use to make decisions is not used by the government.

The man speaks the truth. You want common sense ask a plumber or mechanic.
[Reply]
Mugen910 08:09 AM 05-21-2009
Originally Posted by taltos:
The treaty involving the naval base goes back well before the revolution in which Castro took power. Since it is in our interests to have a base on the tip of Cuba, we continue to pay the lease fee every year and Cuba fails to cash the check for the lease fee every year. If it were not in our best interests to have this base, the Navy would have left Cuba years ago.
:-)
[Reply]
hotreds 08:52 AM 05-21-2009
Once upon a time the government had a vast scrap yard in the middle of a desert.

Congress said,"Someone may steal from it at night." So they created a night watchman position and hired a person for the job.

Then Congress said,"How does the watchman do his job without instruction?" So they created a planning department and hired two people, one person to write the instructions, and one person to do time studies.

Then Congress said,"How will we know the night watchman is doing the tasks correctly?" So they created a Quality Control department and hired two people. One to do the studies and one to write the reports.

Then Congress said,"How are these people going to get paid?" So they created the following positions, a time keeper, and a payroll officer, then hired two people.

Then Congress said,"Who will be accountable for all of these people?" So they created an administrative section and hired three people, an Administrative Officer, Assistant Administrative Officer, and a Legal Secretary.

Then Congress said,"We have had this command in operation for one year and we are $18,000 over budget, we must cutback overall cost." So they laid off the night watchman.
[Reply]
Smoking Dragon 08:59 AM 05-21-2009
Originally Posted by hotreds:
Once upon a time the government had a vast scrap yard in the middle of a desert.

Congress said,"Someone may steal from it at night." So they created a night watchman position and hired a person for the job.

Then Congress said,"How does the watchman do his job without instruction?" So they created a planning department and hired two people, one person to write the instructions, and one person to do time studies.

Then Congress said,"How will we know the night watchman is doing the tasks correctly?" So they created a Quality Control department and hired two people. One to do the studies and one to write the reports.

Then Congress said,"How are these people going to get paid?" So they created the following positions, a time keeper, and a payroll officer, then hired two people.

Then Congress said,"Who will be accountable for all of these people?" So they created an administrative section and hired three people, an Administrative Officer, Assistant Administrative Officer, and a Legal Secretary.

Then Congress said,"We have had this command in operation for one year and we are $18,000 over budget, we must cutback overall cost." So they laid off the night watchman.
So funny, but sadly so true also

Sarge
[Reply]
Up