Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Falto Lonsdale
tuxpuff 05:32 PM 05-18-2009
Size - 6.5" x 42
Wrapper - Sumatra (Indonesia)
Binder - Dominican Republic
Filler - Dominican Republic

This is a new marca to me which came along as a freebie on a recent order. The cigar was a little rough looking but had a firm feel and a nice tobacco aroma.

First third - Initial flavors are very earthy and woody along with a slight hint of tobacco. I'm also noticing a slight bitterness on the palate. Draw is slightly loose and the burn is a bit uneven which eventually straightens out. Tons of smoke. The ash is extremely light and nearly blows straight off of the cigar. Very light flavors overall.

Second third - Still maintaining mainly earthy flavors. The smoke is quite dry with a short finish of a light mocha. Flavors at this point are not particularly pleasant and the bitterness is picking up. I'm afraid at this point is has really gone downhill in the flavor department...in fact it is quite unpleasant and I had to put it down shortly after the last picture.

Last third - Didn't make it this far.

Overall...not good. The only reason I see to keep some on hand would be to give to friends that you are not particularly fond of.

[Reply]
bigloo 05:45 PM 05-18-2009
The petit belicoso of this line is very good, it is different in wrapper though (all the sizes have different wrappers). I have a couple of these resting, need to pull one out and fire it. Thanks for the review!
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 05:53 PM 05-18-2009
BigAsh has gifted me a couple of these in a robusto (about) size. I have really enjoyed them.

Sorry that one didn't work for you.
[Reply]
tuxpuff 05:59 PM 05-18-2009
Yes robusto is the other size and I also have one of those...I'll give it a little while to rest before I give it a shot. Hopefully this one was just a dud.
[Reply]
bigloo 04:20 PM 05-22-2009
Finally smoked a lonsdale which had been resting for ~6 months. I must agree in part with the OP. I think this cigar burned really hot and it was very bitter to start. I slowed the smoke down considerably and things did get better, the 2nd half being better then first with strong leather and cedar notes but a slight bitterness prevailed from the 1st half. I checked and the lonsdale and robusto are the same blend/wrapper which leads me to believe that this combo is not suited to this size, burns to hot or something, and does get bitter if not paid the proper care. Not my favorite stick by a long shot and far far below the Petit Belicoso which I like. I have another which I will try some time for now as the 2nd half was much more promising then the first. This is probably the most polar I have felt about two cigars in the same line.

Tuxpuff, will be interested when you try the Robusto if the same blend does better in the larger RG for you.
[Reply]
Up