Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Montreal travel advice
mikeyj23 08:52 AM 05-17-2009
My wife and I are headed to Montreal on Wednesday for a post-grad getaway. I'm certainly going to the LCdH since I've never been to one, but what are the other must-sees while we're there? I really wish there was a jazzfest going on while we were there, but alas there is not.

Any great
restaurants,
museums,
cigar clubs or shops,
bars,
tours,
or dives
that we need to see?
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 04:22 PM 05-17-2009
Must See's and Eat's

Smoked Meat - Go to Schwartz's or Main (across the street from Schwartz's. Schwartz's is more famous but Main is better and also serves Poutine which is cheese curds with gravy. Smoked meat is a local obsession and really friggin great.

Queue de Cheval - Most incredible steak house that has a huge pie shaped grill that the chef ciruclates around to cook steaks at the perfect charcoal time. Awesome wine list, excellent service, totally hip and the bar you can smoke your own cigars. The steakhouse you could see famous athletes at...

Globe - Really trendy restaurant that also serves great food with really hot wait staff of both sexes. On a popular street at night; St. Laurent.

There's a great bakery coming out of LCDH turning left out the door. Pick up some pasteries there! Yumm...
[Reply]
Barteur 04:44 PM 05-17-2009
Originally Posted by mikeyj23:
My wife and I are headed to Montreal on Wednesday for a post-grad getaway. I'm certainly going to the LCdH since I've never been to one, but what are the other must-sees while we're there? I really wish there was a jazzfest going on while we were there, but alas there is not.

Any great
restaurants,
museums,
cigar clubs or shops,
bars,
tours,
or dives
that we need to see?
I agree with Schwartz's smoked meat each time I have a Client from outside I bring them there for lunch.
If you can get a reservation the best restaurant in town is Toké. Queue de Cheval and Gibbys would follow next (They are all very good, and I agree Queue de Cheval for Cigar smoker is worth it).
You need to try Poutine (French fries with sauce and cheese typically Quebecois)
Cigar club bars try this http://www.whiskycafe.com/fr_home.html
If you have time go to Pat and Robert cigar shop, You will find some little aged treasures.
Tours, you can grab a tour in the old port of Montreal they will show you around.
Right now there is the exposition of Leonardo Da vinci for Museum type activity. You could also try to find admission for the new Cirque du Soleil show in the Old Port.
The botanical garden is pretty nice these days, if you go there make some time availble for the biodome and the Olympic Stadium funicular. (while going up shake your hand, I live in front:-).)
As for the Jazzfest not yet...you are too early

If I think of other things I will reply this thread.

Enjoy Montreal

Frenchie from Montreal
[Reply]
Bear 10:20 PM 05-17-2009
+1 for Gibby's
Not yet mentioned is Stogies (around the corner from the LCDH). A great place to grab a drink in the afternoon and watch the world go by while you have a cigar.
For nightlife, pick any bar on Crescent St. I happen to like Thursday's quite a bit. After the bar (:-)) try to hit a place called "La Belle Province" for authentic Montreal steamed hot dogs & poutine.
The Old Port is absolutely worth seeing, make a point to lunch at a bistro with a nice patio for the people watching.
You should PM Barteur (Eric) as he's a local and can give you more up to date info as I moved from Montreal 15 years ago (although I was there for a Stag party 2 weeks ago :-) :-) )
What hotel are you staying at (might help in giving more relevant advice based on your location)
[Reply]
kydsid 09:36 AM 05-18-2009
Leave the wife in the Hotel and go to St. Catherines St. :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:49 AM 05-18-2009
If you want fancy dining, Le Club Chasse et Pêche is one of the best in Montreal. World class service, great decore, and in Old Montreal. Highly recommended.
[Reply]
mikeyj23 01:38 PM 05-25-2009
Thanks for all the help and advice, guys!

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Smoked Meat - Go to Schwartz's or Main (across the street from Schwartz's. Schwartz's is more famous but Main is better and also serves Poutine which is cheese curds with gravy. Smoked meat is a local obsession and really friggin great.
We went to Schwartz's our first day for lunch after hiking all over Mount Royal for the morning. Pretty delicious. I had Poutine twice - the better was at Montreal Poutine on Saint Paul street in old Montreal.

Originally Posted by Barteur:
I agree with Schwartz's smoked meat each time I have a Client from outside I bring them there for lunch. . .You need to try Poutine (French fries with sauce and cheese typically Quebecois)
Cigar club bars try this http://www.whiskycafe.com/fr_home.html
We went to Whisky Cafe on Friday night - I had a HdM Corona, some Laphroaig and a Belle Gueule rousse.

Originally Posted by Bear:
Not yet mentioned is Stogies (around the corner from the LCDH). A great place to grab a drink in the afternoon and watch the world go by while you have a cigar. . .The Old Port is absolutely worth seeing, make a point to lunch at a bistro with a nice patio for the people watching.
We went to Stogies one afternoon but weren't in the mood for a martini so didn't stay for very long - looks like an awesome place for an evening though. Vieux-Montreal was great, and we ate several meals down there outdoors. On Saturday we headed to Quebec City which was pretty fantastic as well - saw all the sites and really enjoyed old Quebec.

Thanks again for the advice, guys!

LCdH pickups:
Cuaba Piramides EL
Boli Simones RE
Upmann Coronas Major AT
[Reply]
Up