Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>not so free events...
random0813 03:54 PM 04-29-2009
So, I am now closing in on almost a year in this wonderful lifestyle and I have recently starting going to a local B&M for their tasting events... Well I have noticed something on the past few trips. The last event was a CAO Cameroon giveaway, but somehow I come home $140 or so poorer. Today I swung by on the way home for my free RP ITC 10th Anniversary and again somehow come home with a smaller bank account and two bags to hide from the Mrs.

Damn you FREE cigars!!

I am pretty psyched about todays pick-ups though: (5) Fuente Short Stories, (1) Punch Champion, (1) Punch Gran Puro, (2) Flor Fina 858 natural, (3) 858 Maduros, and finally (2) Opus X Perfexions.

$70.54 for a free cigar.
[Reply]
dunng 03:56 PM 04-29-2009
It happens... :-)
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 03:57 PM 04-29-2009
Those are definitely better pickups than I expected you to get from a RP event. :-)
[Reply]
Scottw 04:42 PM 04-29-2009
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes:
Those are definitely better pickups than I expected you to get from a RP event. :-)
:-) Yeah, I think you made out OK on this one, just put them in a box with your address and a phony return address and let your wife know that a generous BOTL from the asylum bombed you with some excellent sticks.
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 04:44 PM 04-29-2009
Nice pickups...will power sometimes is non-existent for me too!
[Reply]
Kwilkinson 04:46 PM 04-29-2009
What's good for the goose is good for the gander :-)
[Reply]
JJG 06:41 PM 04-29-2009
You my friend are the reason B&Ms host promos and giveaways in the first place.

sounds like you came away with some great stuff though :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 07:50 PM 04-29-2009
Seems to happen to me everytime I go to the B&M...danm wallet has a mind of it's own. I have to be creative to explain to the Mrs how these sticks got in my hands. Enjoy the sticks!
[Reply]
BigCat 08:46 PM 04-29-2009
Originally Posted by Scottw:
:-) Yeah, I think you made out OK on this one, just put them in a box with your address and a phony return address and let your wife know that a generous BOTL from the asylum bombed you with some excellent sticks.
I may have to try that one day...nice suggestion!
[Reply]
dubnick 08:55 PM 04-29-2009
Jim, Nice pick-ups.

What B & M are you hitting up? I'm in bucks co.

Sorry for the thread jack.
[Reply]
pshicker 09:11 PM 04-29-2009
I share the same "problem". Fortunately, I have an understanding wife when it comes to smokes........cheaper than ammo.
[Reply]
random0813 09:18 PM 04-29-2009
Originally Posted by dubnick:
Jim, Nice pick-ups.

What B & M are you hitting up? I'm in bucks co.

Sorry for the thread jack.
Cigars Unlimited on Bethlehem Pike in Spring House/Ambler. Decent shop, nice selection and I think their prices for singles are on the way low side. I have not had the chance to pick the staff's brains to see what they know (mostly because at this point I wouldn't know if they were right or wrong on things...) but everyone is helpful and very nice.
[Reply]
dubnick 09:20 PM 04-29-2009
Nice... I may check it out this weekend. Head over to the banter thread... working on Herf ideas.
[Reply]
alley00p 09:22 PM 04-29-2009
Originally Posted by WildBlueSooner:
Nice pickups...will power sometimes is non-existent for me too!
:-)

I have gone to a number of events locally...

Joya de Nicaragua event for a "Free" JDN, Bought 2 boxes of JDNs - $150

Drew Estates for a "Free" Tabak, bought a box of Tabaks and a box of Chateau Reals - $140

Pete Johnson Tatuaje - "Free" Tat, left with a box each of Havana VI Nobles and Angeles - $160

Davidson for a "Free" Mystery stick, bought 2 boxes of Zino #8's - $80

Now, I can't really complain cuz nobody held a gun to my head, and I did receive a bunch of cool stuff at the events: hats, cutters, pins, patches, t-shirts, DVDs and books. At the first 3 events, I got to talk to the CEO of JDN, Pete Johnson of Tatuaje, and Jonathon Drew of Drew Estates, who all autographed my purchases.

I have skipped the last few events on purpose, because my cigar budget is becoming non-existent.

:-)
[Reply]
MedicCook 09:29 PM 04-29-2009
I have had a similar problem with the 'free cigar' offer at the in-house B&M events. I fixed it by not going to all the events unless it is for something I really want.
[Reply]
Up