Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Question about walk in humidor....
Winnie 07:48 AM 04-24-2009
I have a closet I would like to convert to a walk in humidor. I will install a proper door of some sort on there,as it is now just a sliding door.

My question is do I need to worry about mold on or in the walls? I really didn't want to put Spanish Cedar on the walls, just wanted to rely on the cigar boxes themselves.

The walls of the closet are plaster, I would install some sort of glass door so I could look in on my beauties. But i want to do this project with a minimal amount of cost, I would rather spend my money on more sticks.
[Reply]
JJG 08:17 AM 04-24-2009
I have always heard that mold on cigars only develops at humidity levels above 70%, don't know if the case is the same with plaster/drywall. I would think having plenty of circulation, like a decent size fan would help distribute humidity more evenly, so that areas of the closet don't become more moist than others.
[Reply]
SmokinCozy 09:24 AM 04-24-2009
Originally Posted by JJG:
I have always heard that mold on cigars only develops at humidity levels above 70%, don't know if the case is the same with plaster/drywall. I would think having plenty of circulation, like a decent size fan would help distribute humidity more evenly, so that areas of the closet don't become more moist than others.
:-) plaster at 70% and below, I can't imagine a problem.
[Reply]
taltos 09:42 AM 04-24-2009
The main problem that I could see is condensation on the plaster walls. It seems that you would need some wood on the walls to absorb and even out the moisture.
[Reply]
Winnie 07:28 AM 04-26-2009
After some thought and research, I think I am going to go this route...

http://www.tampahumidor.com/sd4/product/verona-3585.cfm

I'll get it shipped to my nephews place in Minneapolis, and pick it up when I'm down there this summer.
[Reply]
mojo65 04:37 PM 04-26-2009
If you decide to do the closet, You will need a vapor barrier over the sheet rock. to maintain humidity. you can use Spanish ceder laminate that comes in 4X8 sheets to line the closet. the sheets are about $115 a pop for the 22.5mil thickness.

from https://oakwoodveneer.com/shop/shop4_8_ce.html
[Reply]
groogs 05:01 PM 04-26-2009
Originally Posted by Winnie:
After some thought and research, I think I am going to go this route...

http://www.tampahumidor.com/sd4/product/verona-3585.cfm

I'll get it shipped to my nephews place in Minneapolis, and pick it up when I'm down there this summer.
If you are going to go that route I would check C-Bid, I have seen that cabinet selling fairly cheap there.
[Reply]
blugill 05:04 PM 04-26-2009
Why not go the vinotemp route?
Then you would have precise control over the temperature as well.
[Reply]
Winnie 06:49 AM 04-28-2009
Originally Posted by groogs:
If you are going to go that route I would check C-Bid, I have seen that cabinet selling fairly cheap there.
i would love to, Canadians can't do cbid

Originally Posted by blugill:
Why not go the vinotemp route?
Then you would have precise control over the temperature as well.
Vinotemo may be more practical, but i really love the look of a nice humi. i know I won't be happy with anything else.
[Reply]
Up