Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Any thoughts on Edge Star 28 Thermoelectric Cooler
themoneycollector 11:22 AM 04-22-2009
Any thoughts on Edge Star 28 Thermoelectric Coolers compared to Vinos?

It is a 28-bottle, thermoelectric. It's nearly identical in size and function to the Vinotemp 28. I may have a lead on running a GB at an incredible price and wanted to see if anyone has one of these and had good results before going any further. The vinotemp has long been the model of choice, but finding them at a good price has left many people wanting an alternate.

Features:
115 volts - 65 watts
28 bottle capacity
Adjustable thermostat for storing different wine varietals
Auto defrost
EdgeStar Deluxe 28 Bottle Wine Cooler
Includes 6 chrome racks
Internal fan to evenly circulate air within the wine cooler- ensuring even temperature distribution
Reversible door
Silver frame
Slide-out chrome racks
Soft interior LED lighting to proudly display your wine collection
Solid state components for long life- the only moving parts are fans to circulate cool air within the wine cooler and dissipate heat outside the unit
State-of-the-art thermoelectric technology cools with no harmful vibration
Vibration-free thermoelectric cooling
Warranty: 90 days parts and labor. One year parts

:-)
[Reply]
wayner123 12:22 PM 04-22-2009
Originally Posted by themoneycollector:
Any thoughts on Edge Star 28 Thermoelectric Coolers compared to Vinos?

It is a 28-bottle, thermoelectric. It's nearly identical in size and function to the Vinotemp 28. I may have a lead on running a GB at an incredible price and wanted to see if anyone has one of these and had good results before going any further. The vinotemp has long been the model of choice, but finding them at a good price has left many people wanting an alternate.

:-)
Are you taking into consideration the discounted price that Vinotemp themselves is offering through the retailer section?

What price range are you looking at for the GB?
[Reply]
themoneycollector 01:17 PM 04-22-2009
Originally Posted by wayner123:
Are you taking into consideration the discounted price that Vinotemp themselves is offering through the retailer section?

What price range are you looking at for the GB?
The vino GB has been closed for 2 months, but there has been several people wishing to get in on a similar deal.

I'm hoping the pricing will be as competitive, if not more, than that one. Before I go further with pricing, I wanted to see if this particular model was worth pursuing compared to vino's. :-)
[Reply]
Drat 01:27 PM 04-22-2009
From what I've heard, it is virtually identical. I think that Chasden's custom drawers even fit into it.

I'd be all over a group buy if it were 3 weeks ago. I ended up with a 16 bottle Avanti from CL before my wife took my wallet away from me...
[Reply]
bobarian 02:19 PM 04-22-2009
Does this have a Digital thermostat? I thought Edgestars used Hi/Med/Lo thermostat.
[Reply]
ChasDen 07:46 PM 04-22-2009
I have both the EdgeStar and the Vinotemp 28 bottle units. By far I like the Vinotemp better. The reasons may be of no consequence to some but for me they are pretty important. The vino has a digital temperature controller that allows you to set an actual temp. The EdgeStar simply has a dial you turn up or down. The inside dimensions of the EdgeStar are slightly smaller. The one I have has a tinted door not clear like the Vinotemp. I have not had it plugged in for very long yet (stays cool here in the winter so I only run it in the summer) but when I did the RH swings were a lot greater than the Vino. Also I like the handle on the Vino better.

That being said, it serves its purpose and by no means am I upset I bought it, just like the Vino a lot better.

Chas

PS - Yes I have trays that fit both :-)
[Reply]
mugwump 02:53 PM 04-24-2009
I've been running an EdgeStar 28 count since last August and like it a lot. I like the nice clean look of it (once you peel off the EdgeStar stickers) and use it without the handle. It is hard to control the temp easily and even on the highest setting it was too cold so I have mine plugged into a manual timer that turns it on for 5 minutes out of every 30 and that seems to do the trick. I use Shilala's beads and only have to recharge them about once every six months.
[Reply]
ChasDen 09:53 PM 04-24-2009
Originally Posted by mugwump:
.... It is hard to control the temp easily and even on the highest setting it was too cold ....
That's the problem I have had so far, its not gotten really hot yet since I got it.

I have been looking at getting a temperature controller but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Chas
[Reply]
sofaman 06:24 AM 04-25-2009
Originally Posted by mugwump:
I've been running an EdgeStar 28 count since last August and like it a lot. I like the nice clean look of it (once you peel off the EdgeStar stickers) and use it without the handle. It is hard to control the temp easily and even on the highest setting it was too cold so I have mine plugged into a manual timer that turns it on for 5 minutes out of every 30 and that seems to do the trick. I use Shilala's beads and only have to recharge them about once every six months.
This is the same problem I am having with mine even with the knob turned the whole way down the temp stays around 62 degrees :-)
[Reply]
poriggity 01:02 PM 04-25-2009
I may be interested in a group buy on these, depending on price....
Scott
[Reply]
Langod 05:25 AM 04-27-2009
I've got that same unit. I use it for wine though, not cigars. I've had it for about 2 years without any problems. Of course I'm not monitoring the temp as closely as I would in a humidor, and don't look at humidity at all. But I would recommend it just based on the trouble-free operation it's given me for 2 years.
[Reply]
Up