Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Lighters and Flying
Raralith 06:09 PM 04-16-2009
I'm going to be flying to NYC in a bit, and I was wondering if anyone has any person experiences with bringing a light (Ronson)? Can I leave it on my bag, and check it in? Or would it be better to just buy matches when I arrive or another cheap butane lighter?
[Reply]
TXRebel 07:45 PM 04-16-2009
As per the TSA (Tear Sh!t Apart) Regs no torch lighters carry-on or checked. Purchase a cheap lighter at your destination.
[Reply]
Les Nessman 08:10 PM 04-16-2009
I'm in NYC, you can find a Ronson Jetlite at CVS stores for around $4.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 08:24 PM 04-16-2009
Originally Posted by TXRebel:
As per the TSA (Tear Sh!t Apart) Regs no torch lighters carry-on or checked. Purchase a cheap lighter at your destination.
Originally Posted by Les Nessman:
I'm in NYC, you can find a Ronson Jetlite at CVS stores for around $4.
Sounds like wise advice from both. I have a PB-207 Torch and would hate to lose it due to rediculous TSA regs. Much easier to simply purchase at your destination (less stress and worry period):-)
[Reply]
Coz77 07:00 AM 04-17-2009
Keep your lighters at home...I'd buy a BIC at a local gas station and call it a day.

[Reply]
md4958 07:22 AM 04-17-2009
Originally Posted by Coz77:
Keep your lighters at home...I'd buy a BIC at a local gas station and call it a day.

:-)

When I went to Vegas, I popped into the hotel gift shop and got myself a soft flame lighter and it doubled as a souvenir
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 07:59 AM 04-17-2009
While you can't fly with a torch, you can with a soft flame butane lighter (at least at the moment - they change the rules fairly often).

I just carry a cheap Bic type lighter when I fly. I toss it in my carry on and haven't had a problem yet. If some TSA person did take it, I'm not out anything.

Not as nice as a torch, but they do the trick just fine.
[Reply]
IBQTEE1 08:56 AM 04-17-2009
I put my torch lighters in one of my jean pockets when I check my luggage. It has never been taken and I have never had anything said to me.
[Reply]
newlifetaxidermy 07:12 AM 05-08-2009
I put 2 torch lighters in the Zippo air case in my checked baggage and had no problems.
[Reply]
Texan in Mexico 07:23 AM 05-08-2009
Im not sure if this is an outdated thread yet but it is interesting due to the subject matter.

The law is very clear - not allowed. For those of us that travel alot we take the risk as an acceptable risk and know it is a toss up either way and depends upon the thoroughness of the inspectors.

If it is a lighter that will cause you heartbreak if taken away, do not take it.

Safe travels.
[Reply]
JJG 07:58 AM 05-08-2009
I don't know about torch lighters but I was able to take a bic with me in my pocket from Houston to Pennsylvania last week. It might be safer in your checked luggage?

bottom line, if you're worried about losing it, leave it at home.
[Reply]
Stick 08:07 AM 05-08-2009
Here are the pertinent regulations from the TSA website:

"Common Lighters - Lighters without fuel are permitted in checked baggage. Lighters with fuel are prohibited in checked baggage, unless they adhere to the Department of Transportation (DOT) exemption, which allows up to two fueled lighters if properly enclosed in a DOT approved case. If you are uncertain as to whether your lighter is prohibited, please leave it at home.

Torch Lighters - Torch lighters create a thin, needle-like flame that is hotter (reaching 2,500 degrees Fahrenheit) and more intense than those from common lighters. Torch lighters are often used for pipes and cigars, and maintain a consistent stream of air-propelled fire regardless of the angle at which it is held. Torch lighters continue to be banned.

Strike-anywhere Matches - One book of safety (non-strike anywhere) matches are permitted as carry-on items, but all matches are prohibited in checked baggage."

Also: "As of August 4, 2007, in an effort to concentrate resources on detecting explosive threats, TSA will no longer ban common lighters in carry-on luggage. Torch lighters remain banned in carry-ons."
[Reply]
jledou 08:25 AM 05-08-2009
When I flew to Korea the cheap bic type lighters that I took with me were not questioned anywhere along the line.
[Reply]
newlifetaxidermy 08:28 AM 05-08-2009
My bags were searched by the TSA and they did not take my lighters. I do agree that I would not take expensive lighters on the plane.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:04 AM 05-08-2009
Been BICing it since 9/11 when traveling, or just buy a lighter at the destination.
[Reply]
J-Man 08:22 PM 05-08-2009
Originally Posted by Coz77:

:-)
I don't want to risk losing one of my good ones.
[Reply]
Cigary 11:57 AM 05-10-2009
I take one of those acrylic humidors (jars) and place my Ronson right in the middle of all the cigars where you can't see the lighter,,,just the cigars surrounding it. A few times they take the jar out and look at it and then put it back as all they see is a full jar of cigars. If they confiscate the lighter no biggy,,,I still have a dozen of them and they are only $3.
[Reply]
robofan 12:54 PM 05-10-2009
For me the hardest thing to remember is not to take a lighter in my pocket to the airport. I've been carrying one forever so I automatically put one in my pocket without even thinking about it. I usually remember that I have it when I am about to go through the metal detector.

What determines a "torch lighter" is left up to interpretation by the individual TSA employees you encounter. Some think any lighter is a torch others could care less. The best thing to do is just purchase a cheap one when you arrive and put it in your checked luggage on the trip back.
[Reply]
Beagleone 08:40 PM 05-10-2009
Just flew in and out of Detroit with my Xikar in the Tranzpack TSA approved case with no problems whatsoever. I usually print a copy of the regs and place them into the checked bag with the area highlighted areas. Never had a problem before, don't expect any to come when I head to Milwaukee this week.
[Reply]
wshan 10:47 PM 05-10-2009
If they still confiscate something out of a tsa approved case, are you pretty much sol'd?
[Reply]
Up