Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Moving to Washington state/How to store my
michael88n 10:43 PM 04-11-2009
I just found out a week or three ago that I am moving from the East cost to Washington state this summer upon my return.

My question is this: When the movers come to pick up my stuff, how should I pack my cigars in the humidor for travel? They'll probably be in transit for a month, or six weeks at the most.

I'd love to carry them with me, but I don't know how well that would work with the wife and two small kids. Limited space and patience in the car...

I'm sure someone else has done this. Just looking for some insight.

Cheers,
Michael
[Reply]
shortstory5 12:57 AM 04-12-2009
I'd pack them in a cooler with layers of bubble wrap between them. How many cigars are moving?
[Reply]
bobarian 01:03 AM 04-12-2009
You might consider mailing them if you know your final address. Or I am sure there is someone up that way who would care for them while you make the trip. Shipping them with movers is a risk. They may get damaged or dried out during the trip. :-)
[Reply]
michael88n 01:10 AM 04-12-2009
Maybe 200. Too many to smoke between when I return and when we move. I like the idea of a cooler and the bubble wrap. I imagine that there would be some temperature changes during the trip. The cooler should help minimize wile temperature shifts and bouncing around. And maybe a couple of humi-pillows thrown in there as well to provide some sort humidity?

Thanks, Johnathan.

Cheers,
Michael
[Reply]
ChasDen 08:19 AM 04-12-2009
Originally Posted by michael88n:
..... They'll probably be in transit for a month, or six weeks at the most.
Wow that's a long time for transit.
Even in a cooler that's a lot of opportunity for things to go wrong.

What if the truck or container is parked outside in the direct sunlight in 80 degree plus weather for a few days? How hot does it get in the truck? 100 degrees, 110 degrees? Even in a cooler that's a lot of heat.

Chas
[Reply]
icehog3 08:22 AM 04-12-2009
Originally Posted by ChasDen:

What if the truck or container is parked outside in the direct sunlight in 80 degree plus weather for a few days? How hot does it get in the truck? 100 degrees, 110 degrees? Even in a cooler that's a lot of heat.

Chas
Yup....I would do the cooler with beads, but leave the cooler with a friend, and have them ship it to you when you arrive at your new home.
[Reply]
leasingthisspace 08:39 AM 04-12-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Yup....I would do the cooler with beads, but leave the cooler with a friend, and have them ship it to you when you arrive at your new home.
That's what I would do or try to make room in the car for the cooler and take them with you as you move. Best wishes. Moving sucks.
[Reply]
lightning9191 08:48 AM 04-12-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:
:-) Seems like the best advice. Leave them in responsible hands. You wouldn't put your houseplants in the moving van? Would you?:-)
[Reply]
poriggity 09:07 AM 04-12-2009
Yup, leave it with a friend, and give him some money for shipping, plus some for his troubles, and ask him to ship it to ya, or MAKE room in your car.
Scott
[Reply]
groogs 09:28 AM 04-12-2009
I wouldn't risk shipping my cigars with movers. I worked for a moving company for more than six years and I can assure you that is 10-20 degrees hotter in the van than it is outside, and there is also a chance of damage. Movers don't know how much a certain package means to you, and may not be as carefull as you would like. I think Tom had the best idea, have a friend ship them to you once you are at your new place.
[Reply]
mojo65 10:04 AM 04-12-2009
Originally Posted by ChasDen:

Chas
Try 130 Deg plus.....see avatar for my qualifications for that data point...:-)
[Reply]
CasaDooley 10:10 AM 04-12-2009
Where will you be living in WA? I represent the dry side and the Mossbacks (Herf Crew) cover the west coast.
[Reply]
taltos 10:24 AM 04-12-2009
Maybe you could ship to someone in the area of Washington where you will be living?
[Reply]
michael88n 10:24 AM 04-12-2009
I'll be on the wet side. We'll be moving to the Tacoma area sometime Late September.

Everyone... Thank you all for your input. I'll probably leave what I got with a buddy for him to ship. And stuff my traveldor for the trip.

In the meantime, I'll have to do a asylum search for the Mossbacks...

Cheers,
Michael
[Reply]
Prospector 10:47 AM 04-12-2009
Having them shipped is your best option. For packing I recommend putting them in Tupperware (or Rubbermaid, etc - anything with a really good seal). Throw in a tube of beads and some bubble pack to keep them from rattling around, put the whole thing in a box and ship. The Tupperware will protect them from damage and the Tupperware and beads will keep them from drying out for a long time due to the airtight seal; should you need to leave them with a friend to be shipped later. Just ask him/her to keep them out of the sun and in a relatively cool place.

Good luck with the move. My last one was seven years ago and it was a logistics nightmare.
[Reply]
Up