Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Attention Bikers - Sturgis anyone??
kiwi michelle 08:37 PM 03-26-2009
Hi guys

Just wondering whether any of you are planning on going to Sturgis this year. My sister, brother in law and a couple of their friends from the Triumph Club (RATS) are going over this year. They were going to bring their bikes over like they did when they went to the Isle of Man last year but have now decided to hire bikes there. Don't worry -they are on an organised package deal so won't be needing a bed:-):-)

I know there are a few riders on the board but wasn't sure whether any of you have been or are going to it.:-)

[Reply]
Ingyp 08:54 PM 03-26-2009
We have been discussing it - if we did we'd be coming from the northeast, at least 4 days to get there by bike.

Still in discussion stage with one firm commit.
[Reply]
kiwi michelle 10:05 PM 03-26-2009
Originally Posted by Ingyp:
We have been discussing it - if we did we'd be coming from the northeast, at least 4 days to get there by bike.

Still in discussion stage with one firm commit.
Hehe - It would take about 12 hrs to ride the whole of the North Island and about the same to do the South Island - makes us realise just how big America is!!:-)

[Reply]
floydpink 08:53 AM 03-27-2009
I dream of doing Sturgis and riding Needles Hwy and seeing the Black Hills on my Harley.

That looks like an awesome Rally, unlike Daytona.
[Reply]
Prospector 09:26 AM 03-27-2009
Every year we say we are going to go, and every year it gets postponed, and this year is no exception (finances are this year's excuse). We have never been and absolutely intend to make that pilgrimage - some day.

It's like a 3 day ride from where we live in Arizona.
[Reply]
Volt 09:28 AM 03-27-2009
Too many people and part time riders.... I would love to get out there sometime and ride the Black Hills. I have about 5 long distance trips lined up this year, but none during the mob scenes. Sorta like cigars to each his/her own.

If anyone who rides is anywhere near the Smokey Mountains and have not ridden them, do so. Most beautiful ride I have found on the east coast. The BRP is also a great ride - not fast but beautiful.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 09:42 AM 03-27-2009
I have been there a couple of times during the rally. You can see a great variety of bikes, some nice artwork and engineering.

As far as the party scene? Picture the lowest common denominator and the largest spectacle. If that's your goal, you can have a blast.
In my opinion, it is a great time if your standards are low enough.
I can think of a thousand better trips.
[Reply]
kiwi michelle 04:44 PM 03-27-2009
It looks like a madhouse with all those people. I think it is one of those things you do once to take off your bucket list!

They have no kids (so therefore can afford it:-). They are away for about 6 weeks so it is a pretty big trip.

[Reply]
floydpink 04:50 PM 03-27-2009
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
I have been there a couple of times during the rally. You can see a great variety of bikes, some nice artwork and engineering.

As far as the party scene? Picture the lowest common denominator and the largest spectacle. If that's your goal, you can have a blast.
In my opinion, it is a great time if your standards are low enough.
I can think of a thousand better trips.
Exactly how Daytona is with 5 dollar cans of warm beer.
[Reply]
Volt 04:55 PM 03-27-2009
hehe, not saying my standards aren't/don't go low enough.... But being around a hundred thousand people is a bit trying for me.
[Reply]
Up