Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Selling a Car on ebay have you done it.
Junior 09:35 AM 03-26-2009
I am thinking of selling my Tahoe on ebay. Has anyone done it if so how did it go. Also does anyone know how much it is to list. I have looked on ebay, and couldn't find a listing price so far.
[Reply]
KidRock 09:49 AM 03-26-2009
Craigs List. Also what year is your Tahoe?
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 10:02 AM 03-26-2009
I have listed cars on EBay before.... EBay is pricey when it comes to cars. Your car is not unique, so Craigslist may fare you better. The car listings get expensive, as you probably don't want a "no reserve" ad starting at $1.00...

I would seriously try Craigslist first.

Some general tips for placing the ad:

1. Clean the car really well, including engine
2. Take complete pictures, including all problem areas
3. Take a picture of coin in center of tire to show depth
4. Describe condition acurate, including problem areas
5. List all recent service
6. Include VIN

A comprehensive description and pictures of a clean car will really help you out. As for pricing, I'd put it at 10-20% off of what KBB says Trade-In value with Best Offer included.

Good luck and keep us updated!
[Reply]
LooseCard 10:13 AM 03-26-2009
I wouldn't put the VIN out from everyone to see though....

Wait until you have an inquiry, and they have need for it.
[Reply]
dunng 10:15 AM 03-26-2009
I'm pretty sure eBay is just a flat $80 or so for a car... :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
colimo 10:20 AM 03-26-2009
i have sold one car on ebay and bought 3....have had good luck w/purchasing...prices tend to be lower there....also a lot of dealers have jumped on that bandwagon so competition..., but you can reach a large market, i would try craigs list first, particularly if you are in a larger city where there is lots of exposure and its free to list there
[Reply]
Drat 10:43 AM 03-26-2009
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
I would seriously try Craigslist first.

Some general tips for placing the ad:

1. Clean the car really well, including engine
2. Take complete pictures, including all problem areas
3. Take a picture of coin in center of tire to show depth
4. Describe condition acurate, including problem areas
5. List all recent service
6. Include VIN

A comprehensive description and pictures of a clean car will really help you out. As for pricing, I'd put it at 10-20% off of what KBB says Trade-In value with Best Offer included.

Good luck and keep us updated!
Spot on. I would not provide the VIN but put a note that it will be provided to serious inquiries.

I've sold a minivan on CL and bought my current car from them as well. When selling the minivan, I added a link to a photobucket page with 30 images of it and gave as much info as I could. It sold in 2 days.

Ebay does reach a broader audience, but is pretty expensive considering the current market.
[Reply]
PeteSB75 12:34 PM 03-26-2009
I sold a motorcycle on ebay. The main drawback there is that you are paying extra to set a reserve, or you are committing to sell for whatever the final offer is. My final selling price was about a grand less than what I wanted to sell for. Of course, I did only list on EBay after listing on CL, BargainNews, and a few other places for about a month and a half. If you go on EBay, make sure that you specifiy in the listing that delivery of the vehicle is the buyer's responsibility.
[Reply]
Drat 12:46 PM 03-26-2009
Oh yeah, also be ready for the dozen or so scam emails about shipping the car and cashier's checks...
[Reply]
Junior 01:01 PM 03-26-2009
Thanks I have looked at CL, but think ebay may be the way to go.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:44 AM 03-27-2009
Originally Posted by Drat:
Oh yeah, also be ready for the dozen or so scam emails about shipping the car and cashier's checks...
Yup.

Be aware of scammers. I've sold everything from sofas to art on EBay and Craigslist. Scammers are just part of the game, but it is easy to spot them.
[Reply]
Junior 08:22 AM 03-27-2009
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Yup.

Be aware of scammers. I've sold everything from sofas to art on EBay and Craigslist. Scammers are just part of the game, but it is easy to spot them.
I have delt with my fair share of scammers selling computers. It will be a in person cash deal or none at all. Too many fake cashiers checks, and the like.
[Reply]
Nabinger16 08:56 AM 03-27-2009
I've had a lot of luck selling vehicles on vehix.com. It's free to list basic adds, and it has a huge market area. It would be worth a shot before spending a bunch of money on ebay just to potentially get less than you want for the vehicle.
[Reply]
Up