Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Ambos Mundos
Conch Republican 10:18 AM 03-16-2009
Ok, let me set the bar here...I do not write reviews. I do not taste Madagascar Vanilla, and I believe nutmeg belongs in egg nog, not in my cigar. I have (as many will attest) no taste buds (and very little taste :-) )

Got 2 of these last week as something to try when I placed an order for some other sitcks. (Thanks to Mica and Eric).

2 different cigars - a Connecticut and a Maduro. The listing on these cigars is a creation by Pete Johnson, using "lesser grade" tobacco, (assuming for a price point), etc, etc, etc.

I have to say - I liked them, Fired up the Conn on Sat am and the Maduro on Sunday am. These are great breakfast cigars. What they do not have in face puckering power, they do have in flavor. If you noticed above - I have no idea what flavors they were, but they were tasty, and the aroma was very nice as well. (Reminded me of a DPG Blue - complex, good nose, not overly powerful).

The draw was perfect on both, the burn had that fine black line, and the ash was tightly packed, and very white in color.

All-in-all, I liked them, and would definately buy more.
[Reply]
elderboy02 10:23 AM 03-16-2009
Thanks for the review! :-) I have 2 of each wrapper resting right now.
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 10:26 AM 03-16-2009
Originally Posted by Conch Republican:
2 different cigars - a Connecticut and a Maduro. The listing on these cigars is a creation by Pete Johnson, using "lesser grade" tobacco, (assuming for a price point), etc, etc, etc.
I think they are a Habano & Sumatra wrapper.
I have not had them yet. But I have heard the Sumatra wrapper is the best.
[Reply]
GarlicBreath 10:34 AM 03-16-2009
Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate:
I think they are a Habano & Sumatra wrapper.
I have not had them yet. But I have heard the Sumatra wrapper is the best.
#1 Habano #2 Sumatra and yes I also feel the #2 is a really good cigar for the money.
[Reply]
tsolomon 10:38 AM 03-16-2009
I smoked the Habano yesterday and it was pretty good. It was a tasty smoke that could have been a little smoother. It didn't have the complexity of the Tatuaje Browns, but overall a decent smoke. I might smoke the Sumatra tonight.
[Reply]
skullnrose 10:42 AM 03-16-2009
I agree decent cigar at it's price point but a little harsh
[Reply]
Conch Republican 11:51 AM 03-16-2009
Habano and Sumatra - thats close to Conn and Maduro :-)
[Reply]
leasingthisspace 11:53 AM 03-16-2009
Originally Posted by Conch Republican:
Habano and Sumatra - thats close to Conn and Maduro :-)
Nice review.
[Reply]
newlifetaxidermy 08:26 AM 03-25-2009
I tried the sumatra toro last night. I was treating it basically like a yard 'gar because I smoked it while working in the shop...so I didn't expect much. I was blown away with the quality of the construction. The burn was absolutely perfect and it had a great aroma. I will definitely buy more and I will try the habano wrapper as well.
[Reply]
BryanB 02:41 PM 03-25-2009
great smoke. i like the price best of all. :-)
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 02:53 PM 03-25-2009
I wasn't a huge fan. It ended on a good note but the first 2/3 pretty much sucked.
[Reply]
Up