Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Aging badly?
darb85 12:14 PM 02-26-2009
Anyone ever had a smoke age badly? I had a Casa Torano, The last one from a box I bought a long time ago thats been in the humi for almost 4 years now and It was horrible! The smooth mildness its known for went to hell in a handbasket.

So I pulled out one with 3 years on it and it was bad. Pulled out one that was in a new shipment with maybe 4 months on it, Its perfect.

Anyone else ever have a smoke that aged badly consistantly?
[Reply]
bobarian 12:23 PM 02-26-2009
For the most part NC smokes are made to be consumed fresh(after acclimating to your humidor) usually that would mean within the first year. Most NC's are rolled with aged tobacco which has already gone through several fermentations and is most likely at the peak of its flavor. As you experienced, most aged NC's just taste old. :-)
[Reply]
darb85 12:35 PM 02-26-2009
hmm good to know, Ive had a few that have been great aged and just assumed that all would be like that. but like joan rivers, they cant all age gracefully...:-)
[Reply]
Mr. 66 01:48 PM 02-26-2009
I have most of my smokes stored in ziplock, I think it helps slow down the loss factor.
[Reply]
awsmith4 01:55 PM 02-26-2009
In my limited experience, the only NCs that seem to age well are some Nicaraguans and the Opus X. The reason I say some Nicaraguans is I've had some aged PAMs and they almost seemed flat compared to ones that I smoked new.
[Reply]
Tio Gato 03:50 PM 02-26-2009
I've got several dozen of LCG's, some from Miami and some from the DR.
These have about 8 years of age on them. I'm kicking myself for not smoking them sooner. They've lost so much flavor I'm thinking of grinding them up to use a natural pest repellent in my garden. I hesitate even to give them to my father-in-law.:-)

I remember reading on Club Stogie a long time ago that cigars are like wines. The big bold strong ones (reds) age well and improve in taste. But the weaker (whites) don't age well at all and begin to deteriorate. It seems kind of true.

A lot of the big surprises I've had with aging cigars are some of the cheaper smokes. Cigars rolled with "young" tobacco that were almost unsmokeable out the box have become fantastic with 5 or 6 years of age on them. So my rule of thumb is smoke'm if they're ready, put 'em to bed if they are not. I let my nose be the judge.
I hope this post makes sense, I've been :-)
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 04:14 PM 02-26-2009
Originally Posted by Tio Gato:
I've got several dozen of LCG's, some from Miami and some from the DR.
These have about 8 years of age on them. I'm kicking myself for not smoking them sooner. They've lost so much flavor I'm thinking of grinding them up to use a natural pest repellent in my garden. I hesitate even to give them to my father-in-law.:-)

I remember reading on Club Stogie a long time ago that cigars are like wines. The big bold strong ones (reds) age well and improve in taste. But the weaker (whites) don't age well at all and begin to deteriorate. It seems kind of true.

A lot of the big surprises I've had with aging cigars are some of the cheaper smokes. Cigars rolled with "young" tobacco that were almost unsmokeable out the box have become fantastic with 5 or 6 years of age on them. So my rule of thumb is smoke'm if they're ready, put 'em to bed if they are not. I let my nose be the judge.
I hope this post makes sense, I've been :-)
What the hell are you talking about? Jibbish...just jibberish! :-)
[Reply]
rizzle 04:59 AM 02-27-2009
This is always one of the arguments that amuses me the most. Other than that, I've got nothing.
[Reply]
taltos 05:45 AM 02-27-2009
I have had some JDN Antanos age beautifully along with some Gran Habano #5's. In both cases the somewhat harsh edge was taken off but the power for the most part remained. On the other hand, I have had some Sancho Panza's, both Double Maduro and Extra Fuerte seem to go flat after about a year and a half. Oliva and Fire seem to do well with a six month rest before smoking. Brazilias seem to go flat after about a year unless they are the Chango Tubos. Of course, these are just my opinions and ymmv.:-)
[Reply]
PeteSB75 06:24 AM 02-27-2009
With NCs, IMO, the difference is with the premium vs. non-premium. I generally find that the premium cigars of a particular brand don't age well, PAM, Anejo, etc. because they are already aged. The lower lines tend to benefit more from the age , so take a Padron '000 series, throw it in the humi for 2-3 years and it tastes like a PAM. Opus are a general exception, at least to me. I like them so much better after a couple years. I have some CAO Brazilia Gols and some 5 Vegas Limitadas that have both been sitting for just over two years and are smoking beautifully right now.:-)
[Reply]
Up