Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>What are you giving up for Lent?(those who observe
Starscream 07:05 AM 02-23-2009
For those of you who observe this holiday, what are you giving up for Lent? Being a Southern Baptist (somewhat), I've never observed this holiday. I see that the season of Lent is becoming more "popular" within protestant denominations lately and I think that is a good thing. Most all religions have a practice of fasting in some form or another (except us Southern Baptists, we can't go w/o our fried chicken and bar-b-cue :-)) I do think it a good idea and practice, and am going to follow through with the forty day fast.

With that said, I am going to abstain from meat and dairy for the forty days (in similar fashion to the Eastern Orthodox Church). What are you giving up?
[Reply]
taltos 07:28 AM 02-23-2009
Several years ago I decided that giving something up for Lent was just self-serving so I started doing something else, I started giving of myself in volunteer activities. I have always been a volunteer at one of the VA hospitals in the area but I got involved in tutoring kids in reading so that they had a chance to get an advanced education. This is an easier pledge than giving something (usually drinking) up is for me to keep and seems to have a more positive impact. Also to clarify one thing in the original post, Lent is not a holiday, it is a 40 day period of spiritual preparation for Christ's resurrection on Easter. Starts on Ash Wednesday and ends on Easter Sunday.
[Reply]
IBQTEE1 08:19 AM 02-23-2009
I am Catholic and I try to give something up besides meat on Fridays and the holy days. This year I am thinking that I am giving up alcohol. I need to give my liver a rest. Plus, it is only 40 days. Maybe this is going to be harder then I thought!! :-)
[Reply]
SeanGAR 08:46 AM 02-23-2009
I've decided to give up armed robbery, home invasion, crack, black tar heroin and making meth in hotel rooms. I have a feeling this might be hard. Seriously though, I don't usually bother with this as I'm as bad a Catholic as you'd ever meet.
[Reply]
elderboy02 08:48 AM 02-23-2009
I am a Catholic, so I don't eat meat on Friday's and Holy Days during Lent. Trust me, it is hard for me to not eat meat. I am still trying to decide what to give up for lent.

I always try to give up pop, but end up failing. :-)
[Reply]
kaisersozei 09:42 AM 02-23-2009
I usually think about it, but since I've been excommunicated that's about as far as I get. I do try to avoid meat on Fridays, however--my mother did a good job of instilling that Catholic guilt thing and it's hard to change.
[Reply]
Darrell 09:45 AM 02-23-2009
I've decided to give up being nice for lent.

:-)

I'm kidding, but good luck to everyone who observes it!!
[Reply]
ucla695 09:57 AM 02-23-2009
I haven’t decided yet. I’ve been really lax in observing the no meat thing on Fridays so that might be a place to start.
[Reply]
MrsSledn 10:35 AM 02-23-2009
Catholic here and I will not eat meat on Friday's during lent either. I don't allow my son to eat meat on Friday's during lent either. The hubby on the other hand... LOL He marches to the beat of a different drum.

Let's see, I can't give up booze since I haven't had a drop since C-Fest 2007. Cigars, had to give those up for a bit. Cigarettes, the same.

I know I will think of something...
[Reply]
Starscream 10:36 AM 02-23-2009
Originally Posted by taltos:
Also to clarify one thing in the original post, Lent is not a holiday, it is a 40 day period of spiritual preparation for Christ's resurrection on Easter. Starts on Ash Wednesday and ends on Easter Sunday.
You are absolutely right. I did slip up there (somewhat). Easter, which is a holiday, marks the end of lent (or day after). Holiday no longer means holy day in our society anymore.

As for giving back to the community, that is also what Lent is about, but it seems to be downplayed for the masses. I commend you for doing so. :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 12:11 PM 02-23-2009
Anyone giving up cigars for Lent? That'd be a rough one for me. Staying away from meat and dairy will be tough enough for me.
[Reply]
elderboy02 12:25 PM 02-23-2009
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
Anyone giving up cigars for Lent? That'd be a rough one for me. Staying away from meat and dairy will be tough enough for me.
There is no way I will give up cigars for lent :-) I haven't smoked many this whole winter b/c of how cold it is. It is just about the right time of the year to start firing up the stogies. :-)
[Reply]
CBI_2 05:19 PM 02-23-2009
I gave up Catholicism one year for Lent and then never found it. :-)

Seriously though, good luck to all who make an effort in observing their faith's beliefs and practices for Lent.
[Reply]
Starscream 05:23 PM 02-23-2009
Any protestants or Eastern Orthodox here who are observing Lent this year?
[Reply]
Conch Republican 11:39 AM 02-24-2009
I have considered giving up cigars for Lent, but Man - that is hard! Still torn between desserts or cigars...
[Reply]
IBQTEE1 09:07 AM 04-17-2009
Originally Posted by IBQTEE1:
I am Catholic and I try to give something up besides meat on Fridays and the holy days. This year I am thinking that I am giving up alcohol. I need to give my liver a rest. Plus, it is only 40 days. Maybe this is going to be harder then I thought!! :-)
Just a quick update now that I able to drink again. It went better then I thought. I did realize that I can go to a bar and not drink. But let me tell you on Easter Sunday how good that beer tasted!! Good thing Lent is over because Three Floyds Brewery is have their Dark Lord Days on the 25th!! :-)
[Reply]
ahc4353 09:14 AM 04-17-2009
Missed this thread. But I'm gonna give up reading legend threads forever. :-)
[Reply]
14holestogie 09:49 AM 04-17-2009
Originally Posted by ahc4353:
Missed this thread. But I'm gonna give up reading legend threads forever. :-)
Good luck, Al.

It's the old "car wreck" syndrome. You know you shouldn't look, but.... :-)
[Reply]
kaisersozei 10:05 AM 04-17-2009
Originally Posted by IBQTEE1:
Good thing Lent is over because Three Floyds Brewery is have their Dark Lord Days on the 25th!!
There's something unsettlingly ironic about that sentence.

:-)
[Reply]
Up