Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Sol Cubano Artisan--Cigar Tourney Review #3
Whee 09:33 PM 03-29-2009
Sorry for the delay in getting these up. This is the review for the #3 seed in my cigar tourney.

Sol Cubano Artisan
7.1x58
Wrapper: Connecticut/Habano/Broadlef Maduro
Filler: Honduras/Nicaragua

Looks can be deceiving...
Generally, this is a beautiful looking cigar. Unfortunately, I picked the ugly sister of the litter. We start with a large split at the head. I though I could clip past most of it, but it became worse after the clip.

These come in a box of 5, pretty snugly packed, so I don't think damage came from there. Other cigars look better, so I think this was the bad stick. The wrapper also looks wrinkly in places. The pre lite aroma is a wonderfully sweet tobacco. The draw is very loose and there is a chocolately molassess flavor on the draw. It lit up fairly easy. The foot is similiar to a DPG Cuban Classic Belicoso, or as I once referred to it as, a "nipple."

The draw is way too loose, like smoking through a straw. The flavor is light tea initially. The wrapper tear is really pissing me off though. Can't get a good draw on it. The flavor has started to change to a vegetal type, kind of reminds me of arugula, the peppery lettuce in a salad. It's very nice and subtle. Not a lot of smoke either with this stick. Not much at rest or on the draw. The burn started ok, but is now running ragged.

Sadly, this is all I can stand, less than halfway through.
The split really affected the draw and the ability to smoke this cigar, which is too bad, because it is such a nice looking stick and the flavor was just starting to get interesting. I will defnitely give another one of these a try.

The results suffer because I did not get through the entire stick, but here they are.

Appearance and Presentation: 16
Lighting and Burning: 6
Construction Properties: 4
Taste Properties: 25
Overall Score: 51
[Reply]
bigloo 10:32 AM 07-11-2009
I smoked one of these last night. It is funny that you mention tea because I told my herfing buddy that the flavor was a strong black tea and caramel. I did not have the bad construction that you had. The draw was however a little on the loose side as the cigar is not tightly packed (for a cigar this size, it is surprisingly light). The burn as with mist barber poles can get a little ragged but nothing a little touchup did not fix. The flavor did not change thoughout the stick, but this did not bother me. This cigar was seriously sweat and smooth with tea/caramel right in your face. I personally loved this cigar and nubbed it. I have a few more and would consider buying more (but definately not at the MSRP). You can pick these up for $5-6 per and at that price I think this is a great dessert stick. My rating would be 90! I paired it with a Glenorangie Port Cask, just a wonderful smoke.
[Reply]
Skywalker 11:34 AM 07-21-2009
Thanks for the review of these!!!

I was curious about these!!! I'll save the stick I have for another day!!!
:-)
[Reply]
Scottw 11:42 AM 07-21-2009
Sucks about the wrapper issues, it looks like an awesome stick.
[Reply]
bigloo 11:50 AM 07-21-2009
THis really is a great stick. CI has a very good deal on them... buy two Padilla 68 perfectos and you get 5 of these all for $25 shipped (with free shipping code).
[Reply]
Up