Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Cubao toro
borndead1 08:13 PM Yesterday
6" x 50

I remember when these first came out (15 yrs ago?), they were made by Pepin and were quite a smoke. I used to get 5 packs pretty cheap on C-Bid until people figured out they were a DPG cigar. At some point in the recent past, I added this single to a C-Bid haul.

Good construction. Nice roll, good draw, nice weight to the cigar.

Nice smoke, honestly. Woodsy and tobacco-y. Starts off with straightforward tobacco, and about 1/3 in the flavor transitions to strong wood and spice. Around halfway, a sweetness comes in on the draw. In the last 1/3, the flavor gets VERY woodsy. Like smoking a 2 x 4. Short, tangy finish. Decent burn; a couple of minor corrections. Medium 'strength' throughout.

This modern version of Cubao is...solid! Not a ground-breaking cigar by any stretch, but at a retail price of $6/stick, you could do way worse.

EDIT: I just watched as a bunch of 10ct boxes of robustos went for $29 on C-Bid. At that price, they're a helluva score.

:-)
[Reply]
longknocker 03:59 AM Today
Originally Posted by borndead1:
6" x 50

I remember when these first came out (15 yrs ago?), they were made by Pepin and were quite a smoke. I used to get 5 packs pretty cheap on C-Bid until people figured out they were a DPG cigar. At some point in the recent past, I added this single to a C-Bid haul.

Good construction. Nice roll, good draw, nice weight to the cigar.

Nice smoke, honestly. Woodsy and tobacco-y. Starts off with straightforward tobacco, and about 1/3 in the flavor transitions to strong wood and spice. Around halfway, a sweetness comes in on the draw. In the last 1/3, the flavor gets VERY woodsy. Like smoking a 2 x 4. Short, tangy finish. Decent burn; a couple of minor corrections. Medium 'strength' throughout.

This modern version of Cubao is...solid! Not a ground-breaking cigar by any stretch, but at a retail price of $6/stick, you could do way worse.

EDIT: I just watched as a bunch of 10ct boxes of robustos went for $29 on C-Bid. At that price, they're a helluva score.

:-)
Agreed, Mark! One Of Favorites And Always In My Rotation! Great Review!:-):-)
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 07:16 AM Today
Yep! There’s several versions of the new Cubao now but, it’s the first one they brought out, with the Ecuador Sumatran wrapper, that stands out. Put some in the bottom of your ‘dor and let them get some age. Very good value.
[Reply]
icehog3 08:22 AM Today
Thank you for the review, Mark, they sound intriguing. :-)

Bob, thanks for the tip on the Sumatran as well.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 11:37 AM Today
Interesting, never knew the original were Pepin blends. Explains why I liked them so much. Going to have to pick some up to try again.
[Reply]
Up