Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Verdadero organic
Don Fernando 11:48 AM 07-28-2011
A friend handed me this cellophane wrapped 6x52 Verdadero Organic cigar at a herf and asked me to review it. As I like to review cigars I took this cigar home, looked it up on the internet and the whole idea behind this cigar intrigued me, a cigar made from tobaccos grown without any pesticide or chemicals. The tobaccos are grown at the base of the Mombacho volcano in Nicaragua. As I do taste difference between bio industry and free range chicken for example, I was interested if I could taste a better love for the product and the environment in this cigar too.

The cigar has a sharp point and the burning end of the cigar is cut in an angle, maybe it was a monday morning cigar. The wrapper is pale with a few veins and looks a bit dry. The band isn't of the highest quality of print work. The cigar has a full smoky barnyard smell. The predraw is fine and I taste tobacco and spicy raisin.

I taste coffee and some burned soil. After a quarter of an inch the coffee disappears and a mild wood flavor joins the burned soil. The flavors are a bit musty, I suspect the wrapper is Connecticut shade. After half an inch the cigar gets really spicy, but the spiciness fades away just as quickly. The flavors are dry.

After a third the cigar becomes tasteless and the few flavors I taste aren't really nice, it reminds me of musty and rotting wood. After two thirds I also taste a very unpleasant sour flavor, the cigar gets so bad that I had to toss it.

I tossed the cigar after an hour and fifteen minutes as I couldn't punish myself any longer. The draw is great, just like the burn. I got enough smoke, but the smoke was too thin. The frayed ash is firm and has a salt & pepper color. This cigar is mild to medium flavored and mild to medium bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? NO WAY!!!

Appearance: 6 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Burn: 8 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Aroma first part: 6 / 10
Aroma second part: 5 / 10
Aroma third part: 4 / 10
[Reply]
borndead1 03:28 PM 07-28-2011
Wow...I like these quite a bit. They do need rest though. I take the cello off and let them sit for a few months.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:52 PM 07-28-2011
Thanks for the review, Ferdie.

OK, I know it's only me and my solipsistic attachment to the meaning of words, but I feel that Phillies and bubblegum cigars are organic, and the sole exception I've ever seen of an inorganic one are those pens made to appear like Tiparillos. Oh, wait . . . since plastic is made from carbon-based materials, such as petroleum or coal, then they too are organic, by definition. So, am I merely nuts, or am I completely nuts?
[Reply]
Up