Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>Buying Loose Diamonds Online
PeteSB75 01:21 PM 07-31-2009
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
Nice find there Quan, exactly what I was talking about. Might be a good idea to be armed with the Rapaport ahead of time :-)
Rap sheets for several cuts: http://srdiamond.com.tw/jewelry/report_update/

Just keep in mind that the rap sheet is only about half of the equation in determining price. The real discussion is about the discount they give off the rap price. That is based on cut and on where within the half carat range the stone falls - bigger discount on 1.01 than on 1.49 - as well as how much they think they can get away with.

Best case scenario, tbh, is to deal with a jeweler that either you or a friend has done a good amount of business with. Mine gave me a fair, but not great deal on the stone, but then I got a white gold price on a platinum ring because of the business my coworkers had done with him in the past. Overall, I paid about 1200 or so for a setting that would have cost me 2-2.5k elsewhere.
[Reply]
Commander Quan 01:38 PM 07-31-2009
You can also save some major coin buy buying a slightly smaller stone. For instance if you were thinking about a 1 carat diamond instead go with a .95 you won't be able to tell the difference and it'll save you a lot more than buying online.
[Reply]
white_s2k 07:57 PM 11-22-2009
Wanted to give everyone who helped me out a quick update! After months of looking, dozens and dozens of trips to B&M jewelry stores, local shops, etc. I finally found the diamond I was looking for. Everyone who said, "Don't buy online, the experience of shopping around is worth the $400-$500 you might save" were absolutely right. I gained a ton of information and ended up having the ring custom made by a well known jewelry designer here in Dallas. We sat down with a pencil and paper, sketched out how I wanted the setting and they completed it in about 2-1/2 weeks. I proposed a few weeks ago and my girlfriend of 5 years said YES!! So once again, thanks to everyone who helped me along the way. The journey and time spent was well worth it!!!

Here's a pic I snapped, I suck at taking pictures :-)

[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up